Francis Whitaker Blacksmith Scholarships are Available - Please Apply!
Two $700 scholarships will be available for the Traditional Joinery Projects class at the John C. Campbell Folk School, October 28 - Nov. 2, 2012 taught by Clay Spencer.
This scholarship is for Intermediate and advanced students who have a solid foundation in basics, can manage a coal fire and forge weld.
Interested blacksmiths should complete the following application and mail it to Clay at 73 Penniston Private Drive, Somerville, AL 35670. Contact Clay at 256-558-3658 or email@example.com on any questions.
To apply, please include your name, address, e-mail and phone number, and:
1. Describe your blacksmithing experience, how many years, classes taken, jobs, kind of work you do, how many hours you blacksmith in an average month.
2. Goals for your blacksmithing career, what you wish to do as a blacksmith
3. Make a scale drawing of a proposed project (your original drawing, not copied from another source), Should show 2 or 3 views with stock sizes and specify proposed joinery. Include a cut list for the stock. This does not have to be the project actually made in the class.
4. Describe your participation in the blacksmithing community: teaching, demonstrating, craft shows, writing articles, belonging to and attending local groups, attending conferences
5. Explain why you need a scholarship to attend a class
6. Do you sell blacksmithing items you make? What type items? How do you sell?
7. Include at least 3, no more than 5, photos of some of your work.
The completed application should be e-mailed/mailed no later than September 15, 2011.
Successful applicants will be notified by September 28, 2011.
The scholarship award fund will be paid directly to the Folk School. Winners will be responsible for all other costs such as fuel fee, materials, transportation, etc.
After the class you are requested to write a 2 page article explaining some of the blacksmithing techniques used in making your project, (include some photos or sketches) and send it to your state organization.