Very best wishes for the Holidays from the District 2 staff -- Jennie, Joanne, Sarah and me.
We hope you are blessed to spend some enjoyable time with family and friends. We also wish that the New Year brings good things for you and for all of Oakland.
This short E-Newsletter highlights some activities going on in Oakland next week and also includes information on days off for various City services over the next ten days.
With warm regards,
Friday December 02 - January 01
See the ZooLights meadow show orchestrated by Impact Lighting. Enjoy a fantasyland of giant toy soldiers, with over-sized candy canes, lollipops, and gingerbread cookies in the rides area Holiday music will fill the air as guests mingle among hundreds of thousands of energy-efficient LED lights.
Thursday December 22 - December 24
Oakland Ballet presents Graham Lustigs The Nutcracker Dancing
Holiday magic for all ages featuring artists of the Oakland Ballet Company, and members of the Oakland East Bay Symphony conducted by Michael Morgan.
Sunday December 25
Menorah Lighting Party at Splash Pad
Come enjoy some family fun at the Menorah Lighting celebration at Splash Pad Park! All are welcome.
For more information, contact Rabbi Labkowski at Rabbi@jewishoakland.com.
Tuesday December 27 (10:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.)
A Taste of Montclair Walking Tour
Along this 2 ½-hour walking tour we'll go in-depth about professional food and drink tasting techniques, learn about coffee - how to taste it, brew it, store it - hear about the early days when the Medau family was perched in this once-logging town, and meet some of the neighborhood's most vibrant characters.
Wednesday December 28 (11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.)
Delights of Old Oakland Tour
Join us on this unique 3-hour tour and sample artisan foods from a diverse range of culinary traditions. Explore a four-generation tamale cafeteria, visit a co-housing community, the gardens of the Pardee Family - home to Oakland's 'earthquake' mayor, try coffee from the newest coffee roaster in town, and many other pleasing possibilities.
Saturday December 31
New Year's Eve Balloon Drop
Ring in the New Year without staying up all night - come to Chabot and celebrate strokes of midnight around the world at 11am, 1pm, and 4pm!
Upcoming Mandatory Business Closure Dates at the City of Oakland: December 26 - January 2, 2012
Public Safety Not Affected
Administrative offices will be closed between Monday, December 26 and Monday, January 2 for a combination of City holidays and business closure days as a result of budget cutbacks, as follows:
- Monday, December 26: Christmas observed
- Tuesday, December 27 - Thursday, December 29: Business closure days
- Friday, December 30: New Year's Eve observed
- Monday, January 2, 2012: New Year's Day observed
While the City's administrative employees are out of the office, if a situation arises that requires more staffing, the City has a plan in place to call in additional resources. Police, fire and emergency services are not affected during the holidays or business closures.
Business closures-and the unpaid time off taken by City employees on such days-were agreed to by employee labor unions as part of the package of employee concessions to balance the City's $58 million budget deficit. Every City employee agreed to contribute nine (9) percent of their compensation to minimize the reduction of vital City services to the public.
Specific Service Impacts for December 24 - January 2:
- As previously announced, Saturday, December 24 is a Parking "Holiday." Parking at all parking meters will be free for the posted period of time (30 minutes, 1 hour or 2 hours). The free parking "holiday" applies to both standard meters and the parking kiosks that are located in many commercial districts. Standard parking rules and time limits apply - if shoppers need additional parking time, they will need to move their car. The City will be monitoring parked cars on a regular basis.
- December 25 and 26, and January 1 and 2 are parking holidays during which motorists do not need to pay for parking at City meters.
- Regularenforcement will occur throughout the City for all parking violations on December 27 - 31.
- No streetsweeping will occur.
- Serious emergencies - such as sewer overflows, traffic signal outages, objects completely blocking the street to vehicle traffic and major flooding conditions - will be responded to.
Oakland Public Library
- All libraries will be closed December 24 through January 2.
- All locations will resume normal hours on January 3, 2012.
- Books and other materials are not due until January 5, 2012.
Patrons are asked to not attempt to return materials in library book drops until January 3.
- December 24 and December 31: Open from 12 noon to 5 pm
- December 27 and December 29: Open from 4 to 7 pm.
- Will be closed on December 25, 26, 28 and 30 as well as January 1.
- People who find stray animals and cannot hold them when the shelter is closed should call 510-777-3333 between the hours of 7 am to 3:30 pm to be put in touch with a Shelter representative.
- The shelter will resume a normal operating schedule on January 3 from 4 to 7 pm.
Office of Parks and Recreation
- Visitors will have access to parks; however gates and restrooms will be closed and staff will not be on site.
- Program sites will be closed on December 24, 25 and 31, as well as January 1.
- Fee-based programs and Winter Camps will continue at participating sites.
- All senior centers will be closed December 24 through January 2.
Head Start/Early Head Start Programs
- Head Start and Early Head Start sites will be closed December 24 through January 2.
- The shuttle will not operate on December 26 or January 2.
- The shuttle will operate a normal Saturday schedule (6 pm to 1am) on both December 24 and December 31.
- The shuttle will operate a normal schedule December 27 - 30, including extended Friday night service to 1am.
Remaining Business Closure Days for Fiscal Year 2011-12 generally occur once a month in conjunction with observed City holidays.
Remaining Business Closure Days for Fiscal Year 2011-12
- Friday, January 13, 2012 (Monday, January 16 is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, a City holiday)
- Friday, February 10, 2012(Monday, February 13 is Lincoln's Birthday, a City holiday)
- Friday, March 30, 2012
- Friday, April 13, 2012
City of Oakland
District 2 Councilmember