|Computer Technology Tools and Tips
|Backup Systems not just for business computers
When was the last time you backed up the information in your computer? Do you have a computer backup system in place?Do you really need a computer backup system?Do you know how to use your existing backup system?Do you know how to "restore" information saved in your backup system? If you thought computer backups are just for business computers.. think again. Your documents, homework, pictures, mailing lists, financial information and emails are priceless. Pictures from digital cameras cannot be restored from a negative (remember what negatives are?) Lose these pictures and you lose the family history of children growing up and other irreplaceable family portraits. Working on a big homework project, special event, Ph.D. thesis? Preparing your taxes using tax and financial software? If your computer malfunctions in any way, you could lose this important information and more. In its simplest form. a computer "backup" system makes copies of the information saved in your computer. These "copies" can be used to "restore" your information. The information is copied to "removable media" and stored away from the computer in a safe place. Computer backup media range from the simple CD/DVD copies to USB flash drives, larger capacity external drives and even on-line backup services accessed via the internet. Computer backup software features range from copying files to backing up entire computers including all programs, software, information, serial numbers and configuration information. Most backup software can even email you automatically when the backup has completed. Backup systems act as insurance for the value and irreplaceable information saved inside your computer There really is no excuse for losing data anymore..Need help in evaluating your backup needs? The Maestro's professional pet peeve is computer backups. Maestro Computing is an authorized reseller for:Acronis Backup softwareFolder Clone and Folder Match cloning software
Don't be a victim of lost computer files.
Contact Maestro Computing
for backup systems and service.
Computer Tune-ups and Preventative Maintenance
|10 tips to help keep your computer running more efficiently (and reducing your frustration)
The Maestro is just a phone call or email away if you need help handling any of the above tips (and more)
- Restart the computer daily (or more often if it gets a lot of daily use)
- Delete temporary internet files from your internet browser (or set these to delete automatically when you exit your browser)
- Find and delete temporary files that clutter and slow down your system
- Delete old system restore points (XP and Vista) that can use up valuable disk space
- Defragment your computer hard drive
- Turn off /disable extra utilities that start automatically. (Usually installed without your knowledge)
- Make sure you have security software installed and up to date. These include virus protection, spyware/malware protection and an enabled internet firewall.
- Make sure your windows critical updates remain up to date. Click to go to Microsoft Windows Updates.
- Empty the recycle bin, empty/clear the deleted and trash folders from email programs.
- Delete /uninstall old software that you/your children may no longer be using. Has your high school aged child outgrown Reader Rabbit but it is still on the computer