All About Summer!
Bloom where you are planted.
A Banner Year
Photo by Irwin Thompson.
Lakehill Celebrates Accomplishments and Achievements
Amazing things are happening at Lakehill Preparatory School. As the end of the school year approaches, we congratulate our students and reflect on just a few of their many accomplishments this year.
- 25% of the senior class was honored with National Honors by The College Board.
- 3 National Merit Finalists
- 2 National Merit Commended Scholars
- 1 National Achievement Semifinalist
- 3 National Achievement Outstanding Participants
- 1 National Hispanic Scholar
- 20% of the senior class was accepted at Top 30 Schools, outranking many top public and private schools.
- Record Number of College Acceptances
- 170 acceptances to 100 colleges and universities
- Record number of college admissions officers visited Lakehill (90), helping students build relationships with colleges they want to attend
- The newly formed Lakehill Debate team sent eight representatives to the state competition with one student placing in the Top 10, an unprecedented achievement for a first-year program. The team was also invited to attend an all expense paid trip to Minnesota for the Model United Nations Conference.
- All 11 of Lakehill's entries in the Texas Private School Music Education Association All-State Choir audition were selected for the All-Region Choir, nine, advanced to State, and six were selected for All-State Choir.
- 15 works advanced to the TAPPS State Art Competition (25% of the works submitted). A Lakehill student took 1st in State in the most prestigious and highly competitive Senior Portfolio category.
- 14 students participated in the TAPPS Academic/Drama competition, with 6 advancing to District Finals and 2 State Finalists. The Lakehill Yearbook placed 3rd in District and 3rd in State.
- Since the program's inception, Lakehill students have received both s of the two scholarships awarded annually by The Seay Foundation. The award is based on outstanding citizenship and is open to every school in the Metroplex. (Awards include 1 year tuition at Lakehill for an upcoming senior and two years of tuition, fees, and books to any college of choice for a graduating senior.)
- In Athletics, Lakehill headed to the State Playoffs in eight Varsity sports.
- Tennis - State Champions Boys Doubles - 4 qualified for state
- Golf - 2nd in State
- Track - District Champions, Regional 2nd place, 10 qualified for state
- Cross Country - record number participated and students advanced to state
- Softball - 2nd in District - Qualified for State Playoffs
- Girls' Basketball - Bi-District Champions in State Playoffs
- Boys' Basketball - Bi-District champions in State Playoffs
- Volleyball - qualified for State Playoffs
- Community service efforts superseded all expectations
- Over 5,000 hours of service
- More than $15,000 donated to community organizations
- 20 Lakehill students earned the President's Volunteer Service Award
- 2 Lakehill students selected for the Prudential Spirit of Community Awards
- Lakehill students received National Recognition for Community Service, Scholarship, Leadership, and Athletic accomplishments
- Lakehill was honored for the second year with the Best of Dallas Award for community excellence
- Lakehill once again earned the title of UNICEF Ambassador School for its fundraising and volunteer efforts
- Lakehill was honored as the White Rock Lake Adopt-a-Shoreline Volunteer Group of the Year
- Lakehill was selected as a founding member of the Green Ribbon Schools Program and became a TXU Solar Academy
And that, is only the beginning...
Photo by Irwin Thompson.
Rite of Passage
Junior Senior Ring Luncheon Celebrates New Beginnings
The Junior Senior Ring Ceremony remains one of the most significant events of the Upper School years.
There has always been a special bond between the junior and senior classes at Lakehill, and this year's group is no exception. Held amidst the elegance of the Warwick Melrose Hotel, the Junior Senior Ring Luncheon allowed the class of 2011 the opportunity to reflect, to celebrate, and to pass the torch to Lakehill's next class of leaders.
After a recap of their successful senior year, Senior Class President Sarah Baker introduced next year's President, Ruth Godbey. One by one, members of the senior class introduced each member of the junior class, paying tribute to each junior during this special Lakehill rite of passage.
Choir Performance Caps Off a Year of Success
Lakehill Preparatory School's Choir took the stage last week for their final school performance of the year. The Spring Concert, featuring the vocal talents of sixth through twelfth grade students, was a beautiful and fitting end to a highly successful year.
The program featured a variety of performances by the
Upper School's Lakehill Chorale and the Lakehill Singers. The Sixth Grade Choir and the Allegro Singers (Lakehill's Middle School Choir) were also featured in the program. With a rousing rendition of Ike and Tina's 1971 cover of Proud Mary, the choir paid a special tribute to Lakehill's upcoming 40th anniversary. The combined choirs joined together onstage for Elton John and Tim Rice's Circle of Life, a perfect ending to a program that highlighted the talents of so many Lakehill students. While many students were just beginning their musical journeys at Lakehill, many seniors had come full circle, performing one of their last performances on the Lakehill stage.
The program capped off a stellar year for the Choir, with numerous performances and recognitions. Middle School Choir students will celebrate their success at the upcoming Middle School Performing Arts Ceremony on May 17 while Upper
School will celebrate on May 20. The Upper School Choir performs on Saturday, May 7 at the Winspear Opera House at 3:00 p.m.
Photo by Shari Sandberg.
It's not often that you see hummingbirds, baby monkeys, gila monsters, jaguars, and sharks all on the same day, but that's just what happened this week when the 1st graders visited the Dallas World Aquarium. After taking an exciting morning commute on the DART train, students were treated to an almost private tour of the aquarium where they spent the day visiting the shark tunnel, rainforest, exhibits and the 40 foot waterfall. Highlights of the day included seeing the manatee and river otters, as well as a crocodile the kids described as "huge!" Ms. Shaw described the trip as a big success and said "both classes had a great time. The weather was perfect, and the kids really enjoyed themselves...and so did the parents." (Thanks to Margi Evans for the words and Shari Sandberg for the photo.)
Photo by Irwin Thompson.
Lakehill Teams Head to State
Varsity Track: Regional Runner-Ups Head to State Meet
The Varsity Girls took the title of Regional Runners-up overall and the girls and boys teams will send ten athletes to compete in the State Meet on Friday and Saturday. The team is enjoying unprecedented success, capturing Lakehill's first district track championship title, as well as their first regional title as the second best team in North Texas. Congratulations to these outstanding athletes and good luck at state:
Varsity Softball in the State Playoffs
Charles Burch - 3rd in the 400m; 4th in the 200m
Joseph Nall - 4th in the 3200m
Emily Allton - 1st in the 3200m; 2nd in the 1600m (both personal records broken)
Kara Gamboa - 3rd in the 100m
Hannah McCue - 4th in the 100 hurdles
Maia Heard - 2nd in the 400m
Alexis Johnson - 2nd in the 100m; 2nd in the long jump
4x100 - 1st (Kara Gamboa, Jenna Burch, Ayana Heard, and Alexis Johnson)
4x400 - 1st (Jenna Burch, Ayana Heard, Sydney Thompson, and Maia Heard)
The Lady Warriors headed to the State Playoffs after clinching second in the district. The team fell to Harvest on Monday in a hard fought battle. Congratulations this amazing team on an awesome season!
1st Annual Dad's Club Poker Night
It's Not Too Late! Register Now!
Enjoy a great night of Poker, Blackjack, Food and Drinks
Buy in: $150 to play poker
Don't play? $50 to enjoy the night, eat and drink, and try your hand at Blackjack. There's even a "Poker Tutorial" at 6:30 to get you started!
Fabulous prizes: Ranger tickets, Golf, vacation and party packages!
Get more information and register here.
June 6 - July 29
Lakehill Summer Camps
Register by May 15 to guarantee that your camp selections are available!
Summer Camps are filling up quickly! Check out all the great camp offerings and make plans to spend your summer with us!
Middle School Skating Party, 1:00 - 3:00pm
Upper School Choir Performance at the Winspear Opera House, 3:00 p.m.
Upper School Athletic Banquet
6:00pm, Environmental Science Center
May 12 (8:50am) and May 13 (7:00pm)
Middle School Musical, Cinderella, Jr.
Lower School Field Day
Volunteers needed to help with this fun event. Contact Heidi Alexander for more information.