Welcome to our March newsletter showcasing our first student of the month, Ben McRobb, as well as other goings on at the studio.
What's happening at the studio? Well, all or most of these great things, but we need your help so we can work out the finer details. Click here to read more....
- New Teacher
- Time/Class Changes
- Rocket Workshop
- Hot Yoga Workshop
- International Teacher Coming to Town
STUDENT OF THE MONTH
Ben is our first student of the month and shares with us some of his thoughts and yoga experiences. You'll often find Ben launching into an arm balance or two at our increasingly popular Rocket classes. read more
"It Makes Me Feel Like Waving At Strangers!"
As reported in the Sydney Morning Herald
Troy Green, 33, a fireman, former prop forward and keen bodybuilder who weighs 100 kilograms, said: "I tried yoga before but didn't really get into it." What he liked was that so many of his new classmates were "big, heavy guys", he said. And what he enjoyed most was the feeling afterwards. "It honestly makes me feel like waving at strangers. It's just like having a good surf."
SPOTLIGHT ON A POSE
Warrior II [virabhadrasana II}
- Front toes point straight ahead.
- Front knee pressing out towards little toe side of the foot.
- Front thigh 90 degrees (modify by taking bend out of the knee), making sure knee is in line with the ankle.
- Back foot either: back of foot parallel to back of mat or toes turning in about 45 degrees to front of mat (depends how open you are in the hips).
- Outside of back foot presses down, arch lifting.
- Tailbone tucks under.
- Arms in line with the shoulders.
- Stretch arms strongly forward through front hand and back through back hand. (triceps and biceps (top and bottom of arms) both engaged).
- Press your armpits down, upper body active.
- Look over front middle finger (neck problems look out to side).
- Face is relaxed, breath smooth, eyes soft.
- Strengthens and stretches the legs and ankles
- Stretches the groins, chest and lungs, shoulders
- Stimulates abdominal organs
- Increases stamina
- Relieves backaches, especially through second trimester of pregnancy
- Therapeutic for carpal tunnel syndrome, flat feet, infertility, osteoporosis, and sciatica
AS YOU WILL SEE BELOW, THESE POSES AREN'T PERFECT ACCORDING TO TEXT. THERE IS NO PERFECT POSE, JUST THE IDEA OF A POSE. BE YOUR "BEST WARRIOR ON THE DAY".
Here there is nothing to fight except willfulness.
Some lean too far into the past.
Others stretch way out into the future.
The true warrior stays in the moment,
burning deeper into whatever comes,
sometimes with even more difficulty, what doesn't.
BOOK OF THE MONTH
| Life is So Good|
by George Dawson &
The inspiring memoir of George Dawson who learned to read at the age of 98. Born in 1898 in Texas, the grandson of slaves, George Dawson tells how his father, despite hardships always believe in the richness of life and trained his children to do the same. As a boy, George had to go to work to help support the family and so he did not attend school or learn to read; yet he describes how he learned to read the world in order to survive in it.
The philosophy he learned from his father - a belief that 'life is so good'. He shares his wisdom on everything from attitude ('People worry too much. Life is good, just the way it is'.) to parenting ('With children, you got to raise them. Some parents these days are growing children, not raising them').
Two copies available at the studio. Get in quick. This book is worth reading.
|SUN SALUTATION VIDEO|
|Still confused about the sun salutations. Check out the video below.|
ARM BALANCES FROM THE ROCKET SERIES
One Legged Crow Pose
8 Angle Pose