What's New with DART?
The latest developments and news on DART Mass Spectrometry
We have some new results to show you on the rapid screening of adulterated and contaminated products as well as a great new way for you to test drive our new ID CUBE™
Source. Just ask and we will send you our OpenSpot™
sample cards. You can then spot your sample, drop them in the mail and we'll email you the spectra. MS in its simplest form.
Follow us to Europe! This fall we will present a lunch workshop at RAFA 2011. Take a look at the program and the other upcoming events.
Please have a look and contact me
if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.
President and CEO
|Latest Results on Bad Supplements and Tomatoes
We have some recent results we presented at the AOAC meeting in New Orleans last week. Here is a snippet, but you can download the complete presentations below.
Despite the FDA recall, the herbal weight loss supplement Pai You Guo is still available. It has some appealling claims.
"Pai You Guo Capsules are amazing natural ingredients that help support the healing of the body."
However, this falsehood was laid bare by the rapid analysis of the intact powder by DART. The ID CUBE™ with OpenSpot™ sample cards was used on the Thermo Exactive, and in a few seconds the answer is here. Sibutramine is clearly present at m/z 280.
Ten Second DART-MS: Ultra-Fast QC Screening of Dietary Supplements and Pharmaceuticals with a Next Generation DART Source
The second presentation shows how porous materials can be used to sample the surfaces of vegetables and fruit, and then analyzing the swab directly with DART. As the presentation states: Using this swabbing approach we have been able to detect the pesticides of interest 10 - 100 times below the EPA tolerances with excellent mass accuracy (< 2 ppm; external calibration).
|Get Your Samples Run on the ID CUBE™ Source with OpenSpot™ Sample Cards
We are excited about our new ID CUBE Source, so we are offering to run your samples at no charge. Simply spot your samples on the cards we send you, return them to IonSense, and we'll run them and send you the data. Simple as that. Just click here and tell us you want the cards.
- A low cost, stand alone option for "Open Access" labs.
- Near instant vaporization and ionization of sample without solvent
- Reduces effect of thermal degradation
- NO wait for answers
Here are the details:
- 10 Pack of OpenSpot Sampler Cards sent via mail at no charge
- You or your chemist friends spot sample onto theOpenSpot screen
- You mail or ship the loaded cards back to us at IonSense for analysis
- Mass spectra and TIC returned by email in PDF format, if you have a Thermo instrument we can send files to you.
We also have a new publication detailing the concept and operation of the technology
Increasing the rate of sample vaporization in an open air desorption ionization source by using a heated metal screen as a sample holder Jordan Krechmer, Joseph Tice, Elizabeth Crawford and Brian Musselman, Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, 25, 2011.
You can look here to read more and click below to view the video.
|Attend Upcoming DART Events at the 5th International Symposium on Recent Advances in Food Analysis|
If you are going to the RAFA meeting in November, please attend our seminar highlighting the use of DART in food safety and quality. November 2, 1:15-2:15pm. Here is the detailed program and the presentations are listed here.
RAPID SCREENING FOR FOOD ADULTERATION AND QUALITY BY DART MS
- Ambient mass spectrometry employing a DART ion source for metabolomic fingerprinting/profiling: A powerful tool for beer origin recognition Tomas Cajka, Katerina Riddellova, Monika Tomaniova, Jana Hajslova Institute of Chemical Technology, Faculty of Food and Biochemical Technology, Department of Food Chemistry and Analysis, Prague , Czech Republic
- DART mass spectrometry and its coupling with planar chromatography: Identification of flavonoids and phenolic compounds in propolis Elena S.Chernetsova, Gertrud E. Morlock Institute of Food Chemistry, University of Hohenheim, Germany; Russian Research Center "Kurchatov Institute", Moscow, Russia, and People's Friendship University of Russia, Moscow, Russia; Institute of Nutritional Science, Justus-Liebig-University of Giessen, Germany
- Ultra-Fast DART Screening to the Rescue: Detecting Adulteration of Dietary Supplements and Identifying Residual Pesticides using Direct Analysis in Real Time (DART) High-Resolution Accurate Mass Analysis Elizabeth Crawford and Brian Musselman IonSense, Inc., Saugus, Massachusetts, USA
- Evaluating Porous Materials for Sampling Pesticides from Surfaces using Direct Analysis in Real Time (DART)-Mass Spectrometry Elizabeth Crawford and Brian Musselman, IonSense, Inc., Saugus, Massachusetts, USA
There is also a pre-RAFA Workshop in November 1 as well, presented by Thermo and IonSense.
HIGH THROUGHPUT SCREENING FOR EMERGING FOOD SAFETY ISSUESApplication of DART ionization and ultra-high resolution mass spectrometry in real time food screening
Thermo Fisher Scientific and IonSense in cooperation with Institute of Chemical technology in Prague would like to invite you for a special pre-RAFA2011 workshop that will be held at Department of Food Chemistry and Analysis of the Institute of Chemical Technology in Prague on November 1st 2011 from 15:30-18:00.
The workshop will introduce you to the principles of ambient mass spectrometry in combination with ultra-high resolution Thermo Scientific Orbitrap mass spectrometry for various tasks of food contaminants screening and authenticity testing. The workshop will be held by experienced scientists of the ICT and will be divided into theoretical and practical hands-on sessions.
Please contact Michal Godula if you would like to attend.
|Keeping Up With DART|
To keep abreast of the DART happenings, follow us on Twitter
If you would like to join the community of DART, connect with us on Facebook
If you'd like to discuss DART issues with a few hundred of your colleagues, then join the DART Discussion Group on Google.
|Join the Discussion|
If you would like to keep up with the latest developments in the field of Open-Air Mass Spectrometry, please join here for our newsletter.
|About IonSense |
IonSense, Inc. provides open-air mass spectrometry solutions to the fields of food safety, forensics, drug development, and chemical analysis. They manufacture and develop direct analysis in real time (DARTŪ) technology licensed from JEOL USA, Inc. and atmospheric solids analysis probe (ASAP™) licensed from M&M Consulting.
DART and ASAP Sources are available for most commercial LC/MS systems. Look here to see if your system is DART-ready. And check here to see if your system is ASAP-ready.