Last week kicked our year into high gear with classroom presentations at four different schools. The more we discuss the annual theme with students, the more excited we are about NHD 2012 and "Revolution, Reaction, Reform in History."
Read on to learn more about the theme, scheduling classroom presentations, workshops and webinars, and how YOU can get involved in National History Day in Wisconsin this year.
SIGN UP FOR FREE NHD WEBINARS AND WORKSHOPS
Learn more about NHD in person or online! Several "Making History Day Happen" workshops are scheduled for both Madison and Milwaukee. If you can't attend a workshop, the Introduction to NHD and NHD Implementation webinars will provide information on the structure of the program as well as models for classroom implementation. The 2012 Theme Webinar will discuss approaches to working with our annual theme.
- Workshop: Making History Day Happen
- Milwaukee: Saturday, October 8 (9:00 am - 3:30 pm)
- Madison: Friday, October 28 (9:00 am - 12:00 pm)
- Madison: Saturday, November 12 (9:00 am - 12:00 Ppm)
- Webinar: Introduction to NHD
- Tuesday, October 4 (3:30 - 4:30 pm)
- Monday, November 7 (3:30 - 4:30 pm)
- Thursday, December 1 (3:30 - 4:30 pm)
- Webinar: NHD Implementation
- Tuesday, October 11 (3:30 - 4:30 pm)
- Monday, November 14 (3:30 - 4:30 pm)
- Thursday, December 8 (3:30 - 4:30 pm)
- Webinar: 2012 NHD Theme
- Monday, September 26 (3:30 - 4:30 pm)
- Wednesday, October 26 (3:30 - 4:30 pm)
Registration fees for our workshops and webinars have been waived thanks to the generous support of Carroll Heideman. Visit our website to learn more or or register.
MILWAUKEE AND LA CROSSE REGIONAL ROUNDTABLESJoin us for food and great conversation! Connect with other teachers in your area and get excited about a new National History Day year. This informal get-together will give participating teachers a chance to talk with other National History Day educators about a variety of subjects. Most importantly, participants can talk with each other about ideas for implementation, and discuss their profession in general while meeting new colleagues. You'll also be able to take part in the popular NHD materials swap meet. Participants are welcome to attend any roundtable, even if it is not their assigned regional. Current or past participation in National History Day is required.
- Milwaukee: Tuesday, October 18 (4:30 - 6:30 pm)
- La Crosse: Thursday, October 20 (4:30 - 6:30 pm)
- RSVP Online
NEW RESOURCES TO WORK WITH 2012 NHD ANNUAL THEME The annual theme, "Revolution, Reaction, Reform in History," offers students a variety of possible topics. Before beginning the process of topic selection, it is best if students have a solid understanding of the meaning of the theme. Better yet, help students to understand the breadth of possible topics by sharing sample topics from your curriculum. To help, we've pulled together a variety of tools that educators may find useful:
- 2012 Theme Sheet (PDF): This two-page theme sheet, produced by the national office, is a brief introduction to the annual theme for educators and students.
- 2012 Theme Book (PDF): Produced by the national office, this book has essays about the annual theme, sample topics, as well as lessons about related issues.
- NHD in WI Theme Activities (PDF): Contains a shortened theme sheet as well as activities designed to support introduction to the theme.
- NHD in WI 2012 Theme Sampler (PowerPoint): The theme sampler presentation will get students thinking about possible topics. The Supporting Notes (PDF) provides a script for the presentation.
REQUEST FREE CURRICULUM MATERIALS FOR NHD 2012Our 2012 NHD in Wisconsin Curriculum CD provides interested and participating educators with the tools they need to begin implementing the program in their classroom. Curriculum materials are provided at no cost. Any interested educator is encouraged to sign up - there is no obligation to participate. Curriculum discs include:
Visit our website to request your 2012 Curriculum CD. Teachers who participated in NHD last year should have automatically received a CD. Didn't get one? Let us know!
- Teacher and student guides to NHD
- Sample projects
- Category guides for students
- Theme activities resources
- Sample topic ideas
- Rulebook and NHD Theme Book
- Classroom-ready PowerPoint presentations
- NHD event and workshop information
DISCOVER MORE SOCIETY NEWSLETTERS
Stay on top of the latest information about the Society, our historic sites and museums, historical image collections, bestselling publications, and varied programs. Pick one or pick all! Sign up for more newsletters and email updates.
- Society Weekly E-newsletter
- Historic Sites and Museums Monthly E-Newsletter
- Wisconsin Historical Images Monthly E-Newsletter
- Wisconsin Historical Society Press Periodic Email Updates
- National History Day in Wisconsin Monthly E-Newsletter
- Educator Update Monthly E-Newsletter
SCHEDULE A CLASSROOM PRESENTATION FROM NHD IN WISCONSIN STAFFInvite a National History Day in Wisconsin staff member to join your class for a day. Our no-cost, interactive classroom presentations are designed to introduce students to the basics of the NHD program, share samples of projects, get students thinking about the theme and topics, and excite participants for their NHD adventure. Especially for teachers working with NHD for the first time, this presentation is a great way to kick off the program in your school. Email Sarah Aschbrenner to schedule a date.
|THANKS FOR READING!
We appreciate your support of National History Day in Wisconsin. We are excited to have you as part of our program!
Sarah Aschbrenner, State Coordinator
National History Day in Wisconsin
Wisconsin Historical Society