New LYRASIS eBook Collaborative Announces Initial Offers
The LYRASIS eBook Collaborative (eBC) is a new program designed to provide eBook offers with requirements that meet the needs of libraries as they seek to provide their users with a broader array of affordable ebooks and appropriate usage terms. The program draws libraries into communities to purchase simultaneously in order to achieve better pricing, not just at first, but over the long term. We are pleased with the publisher responses to the LYRASIS eBC so far. Two offers are already available from IGI Global and Emerald Group, and we are anticipating additional offers from Oxford University Press, SAGE and De Grutyer (for Harvard University Press content) soon.
The goal of the eBC is to provide high-interest collections of eBooks at a low enough cost per title that the cost of a collection is attractive when compared to the cost of selective title by title purchases of only a portion of the content. As groups of participating libraries increase in size, each library will get better pricing for the collections it purchases. The work required of LYRASIS and our member libraries to be successful in this effort is somewhat different than usual. For many eBC offers we will be taking expressions of intent from libraries to buy eBC collections IF the price reaches a certain discount level by a specified date. While this process is more iterative and complicated than the usual straightforward order process, we believe the efforts will be more beneficial to libraries over the long term.
The criteria for ebook offers through the LYRASIS eBookCollaborative include:
- The offer must create collective benefit for libraries that act together
- Central LYRASIS license for all participants, with high standards for legal, business and usage terms
- Electronic ILL rights
- Coursepack/eReserve/Course management system rights
- COUNTER-compliant statistics
- Downloading rights
- Forthcoming frontlists (i.e. titles with 2013 copyright dates)
- Includes libraries of all sizes
- Package titles profiled by book agents
- Free MARC records
We encourage all libraries to consider participating in the LYRASIS eBook Collaborative offers and help build coalitions that allow libraries to thrive. Participation is key to a successful future.
For additional questions, please contact your regional Member Representative, or email Member Support (phone: 800.999.8558).
eGathering Video Contest Deadline Extended
We have extended the deadline for the eGathering 2012: Survive or Thrive Video Contest to October 20. There's still time to submit your video and WIN a Sony Bloggie video camera or other great prizes.
Want to learn more about digital video production and how it can work for your library? Join us for our 2nd Friday webinar Clippin' it: Create, Edit, and Post Video Using Inexpensive Tools and Equipment on Friday, October 12 from 12:30 - 2 p.m. ET. FREE for LYRASIS members - register today!
- What: Submit a 1-2 minute video telling us how your library is thriving and building community in new and compelling ways.
- When: Must be received by October 20, 2012
- How: Send a link to your video on vimeo or YouTube to firstname.lastname@example.org
- WIN: The grand prize is a Bloggie Video camera! Second place is a $50 Visa Gift Card. Third place is a $25 Visa Gift Card.
eGathering 2012 - Survive or Thrive: Connecting Libraries and Community
1:30 - 4:30 p.m. ET
Attend online or in-person at one of our community viewing locations
FREE for LYRASIS Members
Stay up-to-date and be part of the Survive or Thrive dialogue with LYRASIS: Like us on Facebook
, follow us on Twitter
and watch for the eGathering hashtag #eGathering2012. Click here to volunteer your site as a community viewing location.