| Benefits of Massage Therapy|
Massage is generally considered part of complementary and alternative medicine. It's increasingly being offered along with standard treatment for a wide range of medical conditions and situations.
While more research is needed to confirm the benefits of massage, some studies have found massage helpful for:
- Stress relief
- Managing anxiety and depression
- Blood pressure control
- Infant growth
- Sports-related injuries
- Boosting immunity
- Cancer treatment
Beyond the benefits for specific conditions or diseases, some people enjoy massage because it often involves caring, comfort, a sense of empowerment and creating deep connections with their massage therapist.
My favorite massage therapist who is excellent at lymphatic drainage(which I highly recommend and Cody approved too) is Sashen Chetty. You can contact him at 403-926-0302. Sashen gave Cody and me a complimentary massage and it was fantastic!!!
| Chocolate Macaroons |
from Raw World Real World
3 cups dried, unsweetened coconut flakes
1 ½ cups cocoa powder
1 cup agave nectar
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp vanilla extract
½ tsp sea salt
1. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir well to combine. You can also use a standing
mixer with the paddle attachment.
2. Using a small ice cream scoop, your hands, or a big tablespoon, spoon rounds of the dough
onto dehydrator screens. If you are using your hands, it helps to refrigerate the mix a bit prior to
forming the macaroons. Dehydrate at 115 F for 12 to 24 hours, or until crisp on the outside and nice
and chewy on the inside.
For Blonde Macaroons: Replace the cocoa powder in the recipe above with an equal amount of fine almond flour.
1. Soak almonds in water for at least 6 hours to overnight. Drain and rinse well and dehydrate for 12 hours.
2. Pulse the almonds in food processor for a fine consistency, but be careful
not to overprocess (you don't want almond butter). Strain the almonds
through a strainer to separate out the coarser pieces, leaving behind a fine almond flour.
I like to omit the dehydrator and put them in the freezer for an hour.
What's The Worst That Could Happen?
A Rational Response to the Climate Change Debate
In 2007, high school science teacher Craven posted a ten-minute video, The Most Terrifying Video You'll Ever See, , predicting dire consequences without strong measures to stop global warming. That video attracted millions of viewers; his focus now is not "what" to think about global warming, but "how." Using clear language and charts, Craven sketches not just the cost/benefit analysis of over-reacting and failing to act, but the fundamentals of sound science. Training readers to evaluate competing arguments, he points to a number of expert sources for reliable information (American Association for the Advancement of Science and the National Academy of Sciences, National Security Agency, leading climate scientists like James Hansen). Take a measured look at the skeptics (from the Cato Institute, the Heritage Foundation, etc.), he finds that the risk of global climate destabilization outweighs the supposedly prohibitive costs ("devastating economic consequences") of implementing environmental protection measures. Craven's popular style might be better suited to the classroom-cutesy graphics, groan-worthy section heads like "Dude, Where's My Science?"-but science and ecology novices will find his approach welcome and enlightening.
| Goodbye Samantha|
We are sad to say good bye to our teenager, Samantha. Sam was an extremely hard worker, a good employee and all the customers really liked her, plus Abigail loved her! Samantha was offered a missionary opportunity in Australia for the next six months. We wish her well and know that she will be missed.
This will be an exciting time for her to explore other countries all the while learning and sharing her knowledge and love for Christ. Be sure to wish her well the next time you are in. Her last day is December 31st. She leaves to Perth on January 5th and returns in late June.
Thank you Samantha for all your hard work and for our crazy Thursday days!
| What's New and Beneficial about Sea Vegetables|
- Sea vegetables may be a better source of bioavailable iron than previously thought. One tablespoon of dried sea vegetable will contain between 1/2 milligram and 35 milligrams of iron, and this iron is also accompanied by a measurable amount vitamin C. Since vitamin C acts to increase the bioavailability of plant iron, this combination in sea vegetables may offer a special benefit.
- Brown algae (including the commonly eaten sea vegetables kombu/kelp, wakame, and arame may be unique among the sea vegetables in their iodine content. Some species from the brown algae genus Laminaria are able to accumulate iodine in up to 30,000 times more concentrated a form than sea water!
- Sea vegetables may be a unique food source not only of the mineral iodine, but also of the mineral vanadium. As part of their natural defense mechanisms, sea vegetables contain a variety of enzymes called haloperoxidases. These enzymes all require vanadium in order to function. Although this mineral is not as well known as some of the other mineral nutrients, it appears to play a multi-faceted role in regulation of carbohydrate metabolism and blood sugar. While research in this area is still in the preliminary stage and remains mixed in terms of results, vanadium may help to increase our body's sensitivity to insulin by inhibiting a group of enzymes called protein tyrosine phosphatases. It may also help us decrease our body's production of glucose and help us increase our body's ability to store starch in the form of glycogen.
- Unlike some other types of vegetables, sea vegetables do not appear to depend on common polyphenol antioxidants (like carotenoids and flavonoids) for their total antioxidant capacity. Recent research from India makes it clear that a variety of non-flavonoid and non-carotenoid antioxidant compounds are present in sea vegetables, including several different types of antioxidant alkaloids.
- An increasing number of health benefits from sea vegetables are being explained by their fucoidan concent. Fucoidans are starch-like (polysaccharide) molecules, but they are unique in their complicated structure (which involves a high degree of branching) and their sulfur content. Numerous studies have documented the anti-inflammatory benefits of fucoidans (sometimes referred to as sulfated polysaccharides), and osteoarthritis has been an area of specific interest for these anti-inflammatory benefits. The sulfated polysaccharides in sea vegetables also have anti-viral activity and have been studied in relationship to herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1) and herpes simplex virus 2 (HSV-2). By blocking the binding sites used by HSV-1 and HSV-2 for cell attachment, sulfated polysaccharides help prevent replication of these viruses. The sulfated polysaccharides in sea vegetables also have important anticoagulant and antithrombotic properties that bring valuable cardiovascular benefits.
- Sea vegetables may play a role in lowering risk of estrogen-related cancers, including breast cancer. Since cholesterol is required as a building block for production of estrogen, the cholesterol-lowering effects of sea vegetables may play a risk-reducing role in this regard. However, more interesting with respect to breast cancer risk is the apparent ability of sea vegetables to modify aspects of a woman's normal menstrual cycle in such a way that over a lifetime, the total cumulative estrogen secretion that occurs during the follicular phase of the cycle gets decreased. For women who are at risk of estrogen-sensitive breast cancers, sea vegetables may bring a special benefit in this regard.
We will be closed Friday, December 24 through Monday, December 27 and re-opening on Tuesday, December 28, 2010
If you don't buy into the mass materialism and paganism of the holidays and don't have anything better to do, we are moving to a new home on the 24th and can use any help we can get. It would be greatly appreciated!
I have a lot to say and a lot has happen this month. Most of you know that Alberta Health Services came into our store and seized Abigail's raw milk. Cody was charged with assault charges for chasing after the health inspector in the parking lot trying to take back Abigail's life force nutrient dense raw goat milk. Here is a direct email from the health inspector: The fact this product is being stored, displayed, and dispensed in your facility is more than enough reason for Alberta Health Services to take an interest in it. As a permitted food establishment, you may not store, display or provide any food that is not from an approved source, or food that is unfit for human consumption in your facility. The unlabeled and, presumably, unpasteurized milk is most likely not an approved product nor from an approved source. You may not continue to store or distribute this product from your facility unless you can provide evidence that this product is from an approved source and safe for public distribution.
Here I have Alberta Health Services telling me that I can not store my own lunch in my cooler at my business that I own unless they approve it. This is absolute sanity! They deem raw milk unfit for human consumption yet it is completely legal to buy toxic cigarettes and alcohol that causes more deaths and burden our Health Care System. All the while we have organizations like Plan Canada urging Canadians to buy a goat to feed some poor family in Uganda.
Here is a message to Alberta Health Services: Pasteurization and irradiation don't exist to keep the population healthy or "safe." They are utilized to cover up the sins of these industries while allowing them to continue their unhealthy practices because it is cheaper and easier to do so. And organic standards continue to be lowered in order to level the playing field and enable factory farmers to claim that their feedlot meat is "organic" so that they, too, can justify higher prices for their inferior products. The animals stuck in this system live sick, miserable, short lives. A healthy, pastured cow can live upwards of 15 years, but cows in the feedlot don't usually survive past 4.
The sad part is while I was talking to the Supervisor of the "Food Team" she says they don't cook the milk they only pasteurize the milk to kill all the bacteria. I had to correct her and tell her pasteurization is cooking and what they sell in the grocery store and yes, PO and CNF all carry it is dirty milk. Here is a fact, grain products are toxic to cows and goats and when you feed a cow grains it creates e coli in their gut. So now you have a sick cow getting addictive to grains, just like us humans, then they poo these grains out onto the grass and it is a vicious cycle toxic waste pool from their gut to the ground round and round. Even organics are not that great because of the "organic" grain manure they use which is depleting our earth. I can go on and on on the negative effects of grains, but I will save that for another newsletter. I can't believe my hard earn tax dollars pay for such ignorance! Click here for details: Goat Milk Seizure
| How To Catch Wild Pigs|
A chemistry professor in a large college had some exchange students in the class. One day while the class was in the lab the Professor noticed one young man (exchange student) who kept rubbing his back, and stretching as if his back hurt.
The professor asked the young man what was the matter. The student told him he had a bullet lodged in his back. He had been shot while fighting communists in his native country who were trying to overthrow his country's government and install a new communist government.
In the midst of his story he looked at the professor and asked a strange question. He asked, 'Do you know how to catch wild pigs?'
The professor thought it was a joke and asked for the punch line. The young man said this was no joke. 'You catch wild pigs by finding a suitable place in the woods and putting corn on the ground. The pigs find it and begin to come everyday to eat the free corn. When they are used to coming every day, you put a fence down one side of the place where they are used to coming. When they get used to the fence, they begin to eat the corn again and you put up another side of the fence. They get used to that and start to eat again.. You continue until you have all four sides of the fence up with a gate in The last side. The pigs, who are used to the free corn, start to come through the gate to eat, you slam the gate on them and catch the whole herd.
Suddenly the wild pigs have lost their freedom. They run around and around inside the fence, but they are caught. Soon they go back to eating the free corn. They are so used to it that they have forgotten how to forage in the woods for themselves, so they accept their captivity.
The young man then told the professor that is exactly what he sees happening to North America. The governments keep pushing us toward socialism and keep spreading the free corn out in the form of programs such as supplemental income, tax credit for unearned income, tobacco subsidies, dairy subsidies, payments not to plant crops (CRP), welfare, medicine, drugs, etc.. While we continually lose our freedoms -- just a little at a time.
One should always remember: There is no such thing as a free lunch! Also, a politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself.
Also, if you see that all of this wonderful government 'help' is a problem confronting the future of democracy in North America, you might want to send this on to your friends. If you think the free ride is essential to your way of life then you will probably ignore this, but God help you when the gate slams shut!
'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have".
RAINBOW GREEN LIVE FOOD CUISINE 90 DAY CHALLENGE
January 16, 2011- April 15, 2011
Are you feeling tired? Sluggish? Insomnia? Diabetes? Over Weight? Arthritis? Believe it or not by just following Dr. Gabriel Cousens 90 Day Phase 1 Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine Program, you can eliminate and/or heal from most ailments. I challenge you to join me in this amazing 90 day diet and lifestyle change. Reset your cells, balance your hormones, release toxins and so much more on this program. I am a huge supporter of Dr. Gabriel Cousens and his books.
This is an in depth hand holding full on 90 day program.
The course will run from January 16, 2011 to April 15, 2011
The full program includes An Introduction Course, 4 raw food phase I RGFLC recipe courses, 2 Live Blood Analysis ( 1 prior to the program and one at the end of the program) Gabriel Cousens is a huge supporter of Live Blood Analysis. One Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine Book, Lots of Hand-Outs, A typed and printed Phase I Recipe Guide. No need to haul your book around all the time. Plus personal email support and weekly meetings if needed.
COST $ 789
All classes held at Journey of Health. This is a super value!! We already have 4 people signed up and paid. Payment needs to be received by January 2, 2011.
| Essential Oils 101|
Give the Gift of Oil
Are you new to therapeutic grade essential oils and curious about their amazing health benefits?
Then this is the class for you!
You will learn:
~How to use Essential oils in your everyday life for better health
~How these oils may prevent and relieve headaches, earaches, insomnia, stress, colds & flus
~Essential Oils that help boost energy levels
~the key differences between therapeutic grade essential oils and other grades.
This is a hands on class where you will smell, feel and even taste these amazing oils.
Presented by Sheila Sherman. Hosted by Tracy Lindemann.
Sheila Sherman has been studying Essential Oils and their application for 2 years with CARE, Center for Aromatherapy Research and Education. She is in the final stages of completing her certification requirements to become a Certified CARE Instructor.
Saturday, December 18, 2010 at 6:30 PM.
Class is FREE. Location TBA.. Location
We have an unbelievable oil that will get you to sleep. You will want to learn about this!
Please call Tracy Lindemann for location at 403-774-1330.
| Curing Prostate Cancer |
This all started with a routine blood test on February 17th, 2009. When I phoned my Doctor for the results, his nurse informed me it was imperative I come in for a consultation. As I sat in his office awaiting his arrival I wondered what could be wrong as I just retuned from vacation and felt great. As he entered the room with a serious look on his face he said, "Stuart, your PSA (Prostate-specific antigen) has more than doubled since your last blood test and at 10.32 I have scheduled you for a biopsy at the Prostate Cancer Institute. Wow, how to take the wind out of one's sails in a few short words.
On April 15th, 2009 after a two-day fast and a powerful enema the biopsy is completed. This is where they enter the prostate and take ten core tissue samples and send it to the lab to analyze. The results of this test is called a Gleason Score and in my case seven of the ten samples tested positive for cancer. Now that you have an official diagnosis I don't have to tell you the various thoughts that race through your mind.
I must tell you the Prostate Cancer Institute acts very quickly in getting you involved with information sessions put on by Cancer Professionals dealing with surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy to name a few.
I then called my Doctor and booked an appointment to get his advice. He advised me he would send my test results to the Oncology Department at the Tom Baker Cancer Centre and suggested I book an appointment to review my case with them.
All of this along with many hours on the Internet leads to information overload.
It is now mid June, I have a lot of information but am no closer to making a decision. A very good friend suggested a Wholistic Practitioner to investigate the ability to fight this disease naturally. I now gather more information and the time has come to make a decision. Throughout this investigation two things become clear, 1) early stage cancer is usually slow growing and one should not be pressured into making a decision they will regret later, and 2) conventional medical treatments like surgery, radiation and chemo-therapy can have devastating effects on your body and immune system.
Decision made, try the natural approach, monitor the progress monthly and if that fails you can always revert to one of the medical remedies.
This decision also came with a complete change in diet. When a person has cancer it indicates multiple nutritional deficiencies. These could be due to genetic, environmental, food and lifestyle factors. When a person's immune system is strong the cancer cells will be destroyed and prevented from multiplying and forming tumors. We decided to eliminate all foods and substances that cancer cells feed on.
- Sugar and any artificial sweetener (aspartame).
- Table salt has a chemical additive
- Milk and dairy products produce mucus, cancer feeds on mucus.
- Cancer cells thrive in an Acid Environment. A meat based diet is acidic, beef and pork also contain live stock antibiotics, growth hormones and parasites.
- A diet made of 80% fresh vegetables and juice, whole grains, seeds, nuts and a little fruit helps put the body into an Alkaline Environment. Fresh raw vegetables provide live enzymes. These enzymes are destroyed at temperatures of 40 degrees C.
- Avoid coffee, black tea, chocolate and alcohol.
- Add supplements to build up the immune system (vitamins & minerals).
- Daily exercise and deep breathing. Cancer cells cannot thrive in an oxygenated environment.
- Eliminate the microwave, plastic containers, water bottles, and saran wrap. Heating or freezing in plastic releases dioxin chemicals which are cancer causing.
So, here we are December 2010, eighteen months later and what are the results. Change in diet and eating habits resulted in a 30 pound weight loss. More energy and a general feeling of well being. Here are some side benefits that I did no expect. I have been on medication for high blood pressure and high cholesterol for the last 15 years. As of today both blood pressure and cholesterol readings have been reduced to normal without medication. I have arthritis in both my hands and back which was the source of constant pain. Eliminating the acid and putting my body into an alkaline state I no longer suffer from arthritic pain. Now for the most important. A recent medical and blood work indicated a dramatic drop in PSA level to where my Doctor said the reading is below normal.
I will continue with the program and continue to monitor my progress on a monthly basis.
This process required the assistance of other people who I would like to recognized. Journey of Health in Midnapore, Cody Dahl, Certified blood analyst and his wife Tonya, Raw food preparation expert for our monthly session and the encouragement.
My Dear wife Margaret, who jumped into this with both feet, spent countless hours in researching recipes that allowed us to change our eating habits and her constant love and support.
Cancer is a disease of the mind, body and spirit. A proactive and positive spirit will help the cancer warrior be a survivor.
Stuart has diligently recorded all of his progress, please email us if you would like to get in contact with him. His diet was a modification of the Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine Diet.
| Abigail Dahl|
Growing Up Fast
Here is a recent photo of Abigail in her new cowgirl boots from Grandma and also helping herself to an apple in the grocery store. She can count to 10, almost say her ABC's and she is doing exceptionally well in voice lessons and music class.
Here is an email I recieved from her music teacher: Hi Tonya.
I just wanted to say that I'm pretty impressed with Abigail's progress in class. I think she is an amazing, smart kid and showing some very good musical development. She is listening all the instructions and follow them. She is very active in class and such pleasure to be around. Good job.
Be sure to click the image for a video of Abigail!
|If you believe we have the right to choose what we can buy and eat and want to take back more of your freedoms, I encourage you to please make a stand and write, call or fax the Supervisor to Alberta Health Services. More and more supplements and foods are being taken off our shelf by Alberta Health Services in realty being controlled by the tobacco, alcohol, big dairy and pharmaceutical companies. We need your voice to make a difference!
Sarah L Nunn BSc(Hons), CPHI(C)
Supervisor Food Team
Alberta Health Services - Calgary Zone
10101 Southport Rd SW, Calgary, AB, T2W 3N2
CODY, TONYA & ABIGAIL DAHL
Journey of Health