Mark Your Calendars!
Public Hearings and Inspiring Community Events
Get Involved. Have some fun too!
Below is a quick summary of upcoming public hearings and inspiring community events
and presentations that will keep you in touch with opportunities to get involved. Some just for fun and some that will shape how the Flathead grows. As the saying goes; the world is ruled by those who show up. Watch for more detail alerts that will follow on the public hearings listed below. Scroll down for more details on some fun events. Let us know if you find these calendar updates of value to you.
CBF is on Facebook! Sincerely,
Want to be in the loop? Well Citizens for a Better Flathead is now on Facebook! We are excited to keep our friends and supporters up-to-date on the different issues affecting this valley and its citizens! Click on the button above, become a fan, and stay informed as we will be feeding our page with articles, alerts, events, and calls to action! Print it and Save it
We hope this format let's you print and post these dates for easy reference or add them to your electronic calendar with ease. Watch for monthly updates.
Citizens for a Better Flathead
|Now - October 4, 2009|
* New--Flathead County Trails Plan - Public Comment will be taken through October 4, 2009, just prior to the Flathead County Weed and Parks Board Meeting on October 5, 2009. Click here to look at the Trails Plan. Please respond to the Parks and Recreation's website "contact us" to voice your opinion, or contact or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Your comments are important!!
September 29 & 30, 2009
* A Trail Runs Through It (TRTI), Whitefish-Volunteer Orientation Meetings. It's time to get your hands dirty! In order to get several miles of trail open this fall, the TRTI need volunteers to help finish trail construction in a few areas around Skyles Lake. TRTI has scheduled two meetings to meet volunteers, take care of paperwork, and plan trail work parties. They have planned two identical meetings so that folks can choose which best fits in with personal schedules. Meeting #1: September 29, 6-7pm, Whitefish City Hall; Meeting #2: September 30, 12-1pm, Whitefish Library Conference Room Please feel free to call Greg at 406-261-8407 if you have any questions about the project.
September 29, 2009
* River Commission meeting. Date and time is to be posted on the Flathead County Commissioners Agenda in the near future. The River Commission is a new county committee looking at issues related to river areas in Flathead County.
September 30, 2009
* Green Drinks. Are you "green?" Attend and enjoy a beverage at this informal gathering of professionals and individuals interested in environmental issues. Share your ideas, network, plan a project, have a laugh! Great Northern Brewery, Whitefish. Scroll down for more details.
October 2-3, 2009
* Raven Ridge Farms - Farm Tour and Harvest Fundraiser. Scroll down for details on this fun event.
October 5, 2009
* Register to Vote! Register by Oct. 5th and you will be ready to vote on election day. If you miss this date you can still register and vote at the Flathead County Elections office in Kalispell up to and on Nov. 3rd. For voter registration information and downloadable forms, click here.
October 14, 2009
* Public Hearing:Comment on proposed revisions to the Neighborhood Planning Process at the Flathead County Planning Board. Click here to see proposed changes. The meeting will be at 6:00 pm at the 2nd floor conference room of the Earl Bennett Building, 1035 First Avenue West, Kalispell. For questions feel free to call our office. 756-8993
* Public Hearing: Comment on proposed revisions to gravel pit rules. Proposed changes call for now allowing asphalt plants and crushing plants to be built in any area/neighborhood where a pit is located. Click here to see proposed changes. The meeting will be at 6:00 pm at the 2nd floor conference room of the Earl Bennett Building, 1035 First Avenue West, Kalispell. For questions feel free to call our office. 756-8993
* Mail-in Ballots for the Whitefish City Council Election are sent out and must be returned by November 3rd. (Kalispell and Columbia Falls vote at polling places in those cities on Nov. 3rd.)
October 15, 2009
* Challenging Choices! Planning to Meet Our Growing Electric Energy Needs. At FVCC Arts & Technology Bldg Rm 139. Session Host, Flathead Electric. Includes opportunities for Q & A. Background Info: Bonneville Power Administration will cap the amount of hydropower that it sells to the Flathead Electric Cooperative in 2011, decreasing the supply of low-cost electricity in the region. There are still many unknowns and utilities face complex challenges regarding electricity resources and demand. Flathead Electric is working independently and with regional energy partners to inform member and policymakers so that we all can be part of the solution. Part of a seven part monthy series on Re-Powering the Flathead for a New Energy Economy.
October 17, 2009
* Monthly free residential Hazardous Waste Collection event at the Flathead County Landfill. Available every third Saturday. Call 756-5933 to register.
November 2 - December 2, 2009
* Flathead County Transportation Plan- Public comment will be taken in this time period. The draft transportation plan will be posted online in early November to early December. Look for links to comment next month.
November 3, 2009
* Take time to Vote! City Council Elections are here and it's your job get out and vote!
Head down to your local precinct voting place or, if you are not sure where to vote, contact the Flathead County Election office
. CBF has sent out a questionnaire
to all Contested City Council Candidates for Kalispell, Whitefish, and Columbia Falls. We will be posting their responses by October 5th on our website. To see a list of all the candidates, click here
. For voter information and downloadable forms, click here
. November 13, 2009 * Citizens for a Better Flathead's Annual Meeting
! Details will follow shortly.November 19, 2009 * Energy, the Economy, and Jobs---Planning for the Future
. At FVCC Arts & Technology Bldg Rm 139. Session Host, AirWorks. Includes opportunities for Q & A. Background Info:How are rising energy costs effecting local business investments and sustainability? Where is there potential for job growth? Join us for a panel discussion of challenges and opportunities. Part of a seven part monthy series on Re-Powering the Flathead for a New Energy Economy.December 17, 2009 * Greening Public Places; Saving Tax Dollars ---Is it working?
At FVCC Arts & Technology Bldg Rm 139. Session Host, Flathead Valley Community College Green Team. Includes opportunities for Q & A. Background Info: What savings are projected from a recent infusion of stimulus money for energy upgrades in Montana schools? What are potential opportunities for future energy savings and tax savings? Join us for a panel discussion of challenges and opportunities. Part of a seven part monthy series on Re-Powering the Flathead for a New Energy Economy.
Raven Ridge Farm Harvest Fundraiser
|Come out in support of local
Raven Ridge Farm needs your help! This event is a
fundraiser to raise money so that they may buy the land they farm and love so
much. Your support will help them continue to provide fresh, local and organic
food for our community.
Citizens for a Better Flathead and the WasteNot
Project will have a table and activity at the Family Farm Day, 10.2.09, so come
down and check us, and other local vendors out. Also get a chance to see the
farm and how it runs...maybe buy a share or donate so that they can buy their
land! On 10.2.09 they are hosting a fundraiser at Reds Wines and Blues
Learn more at the Raven Ridge Farm Blog
Are you "green?"
Come enjoy a beverage at this informal gathering of
professionals and individuals interested in environmental issues. Share your
ideas, network, plan a project, have a laugh!
Next Green Drinks is Wednesday, September 30th @
Where: Great Northern Brewing
Green Drinks organizers are inviting the Whitefish City
Council candidates to come talk to about their "green" platform.Come with
questions and learn how you can participate in this important election! I hope
you will take this opportunity to meet the candidates and share your thoughts on
the "green" issues that affect our community.