|Irrigation Checks - How & Why|
At least once a year
Proper irrigation maintenance is a must no matter the size of your landscape. It gets exposed to the elements during the winter season and before turning on your system in spring it should be thoroughly checked.
Why hire a professional
Simply, because you want the maintenance to your system done right. If not, you run the risk of over watering, leakage, ultimately resulting in stressed plants and a higher water bill. A landscape industry certified professional will test and make sure all areas are getting the proper amount of water and can troubleshoot your system if repairs are needed.
It is also helpful to have regular meter reading to assess water usage.
A professional will also:
- Check for properly functioning sprinkler heads, bubblers and emitters
- Check filter screens on sprinklers and clean them if necessary
- Check sprinkler head height and adjust if necessary
- Adjust sprinkler spray patterns and positions
- Adjust system to avoid runoff and watering sidewalks, walls and other hardscapes.
- Set irrigation controller to appropriate schedule and cycles.
Over the next few months we will be continuing to write about smart controllers and the various options for homeowners and property managers. Stay tuned!
Contra Costa Woman Collects Water for Spring and Summer Irrigation
In December, 2009, Walnut Creek resident Judy Adler started building a rain harvesting
system with the help of a contractor.
A lifelong nature lover, she has turned her land next to Walnut Heights Elementary School into a nature wildlife habitat rather than a classic backyard.
From December to January, Adler stored more than 11,000 gallons of water in the backyard tanks and smaller ones on the side of her house. She estimates that her roof could capture 22,000 gallons of water.
This story is adapted from the Contra Costa Times March 26, 2010