USAA, Amazon, and Costco are the top three companies on the 2011 Temkin Trust Ratings. Before I discuss that research, however, I want to share a brief overview of the recent Customer Experience Professionals Association (CXPA.org) event we held in Boston on October 18th to 20th.
But even before I get to that, I'd like to invite you to participate in a Peppers & Rogers Group/Temkin Group study on social media. All you have to do is complete a short survey. Thanks!
The CXPA event was a great three days! More than 180 CX professionals gathered to attend the CXPA Members Insight Exchange. The Omni Parker House and Fenway Park were wonderful venues.
The attendees networked, shared best practices, and planned for the future of the CXPA. At lunch on the 19th, Ginger Conlon announced the winners of the 2011 1to1 Customer Champions Award. We also had our first meeting of the newly elected board of directors (see list below).
Here are a couple of pictures from the "My CXPA" session where the room was abuzz with members defining what they want from the CXPA.
2011 Temkin Trust Ratings
We asked 6,000 U.S. consumers how much they trust different companies. The data allowed us to rate 143 companies across 12 industries. Here are the top 10 on the list:
(1) USAA (insurance)
(2) Amazon.com (retail)
(3) Costco (retail)
(4) Edward Jones (investments)
(4) Hyatt (hotel)
(4) Sam's Club (retail)
(4) TriCare (health plan)
(8) Kohl's (retail)
(9) Walgreens (retail)
(10) Vanguard (investments)
As you can see from the results below, not many companies do a good job building trust, and the situation is particularly bad for TV service providers, Internet service providers, and health plans.
After publishing the rankings, I did some analysis of the relationship between trust and advocacy. As you can see in the data below, consumers mostly recommend the companies that they trust.
For all of the data on all of the companies in all of the ratings, visit...
The Customer Experience Professionals Association (CXPA.org) community has reached about 1,000 members. It's becoming a really thriving group!Since the last journal, we announced the election of our first full board of directors, a great group to lead the CXPA:
- Brian Andrews, vice president, customer experience and business excellence, Intuit
- Parrish Arturi, senior vice president, customer experience, Fidelity Investments
- Lior Arussy, president, Strativity Group
- Jim Bampos, vice president, customer quality, EMC Corporation
- Jeanne Bliss, president, CustomerBliss
- Erica Bullard, vice president, customer experience, Healthy Directions
- Ginger Conlon, editorial director, 1to1 Media
- Chris Davey, senior vice president, managing director and worldwide head of commerce and innovation, SapientNitro
- Kimberly Edmunds, senior vice president, customer operations, Cox Communications
- Karyn Furstman, vice president, customer experience, Safeco Insurance
- Ian Golding, head of group customer experience, Shop Direct Group
- Dorsey McGlone Russell, vice president, customer experience global accountabilities, LexisNexis
- Jason Mittelstaedt, chief marketing officer, RightNow Technologies
- Karl Sharicz, director of customer intelligence, SimplexGrinnell
- Bruce Temkin, managing partner, Temkin Group
As I mentioned earlier, we had a fantastic event in Boston. Here's part of what I shared during my opening and closing remarks:
Temkin Group Update
We have exciting research coming out over the next month which includes the State of CX Metrics, 2011 which will go live later this week. We are also doing our year-end survey to gauge where CX is heading as we end 2011.
In addition, we are planning for next year. We've already made plans to extend the 2012 Temkin Ratings into the UK. And there's a lot more underway.
As you put together your 2012 budget, don't forget to include a subscription to Temkin Group Research. Our research bundles include access to all of our research for your entire organization, answers to questions that you have about the research or your CX efforts, and a strategy session to discuss the topic of your choice. Send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to get a quote. Take a look at our previous research.
If you're looking to accelerate your organization's customer experience transformation efforts, here are a number of ways that Temkin Group can help:
- Assessments of customer experience efforts, to identify gaps and opportunities to accelerate your transformation efforts
- Speeches and webinars on a wide range of customer experience and leadership topics
- Interactive workshops for executive teams or other groups to gain alignment around key customer experience principles and priorities or to develop plans in areas such as voice of the customer programs
- Educational curricula to establish and reinforce an understanding of proven customer experience principles across an organization
- Strategy reviews of marketing and product plans for vendors who want to help companies transform their customer experience
Customer Experience Transformist
& Managing Partner
Chair, Customer Experience Professionals Association
We are a research and consulting firm that combines thought leadership with a deep understanding of the dynamics of large organizations to help senior executives accelerate their customer experience transformational efforts