We arrived, found an apartment,& ... !
Wow! It seems like we have been living in Ukraine for months when we consider all the changes and activities. However, it has actually only been a few weeks. The reality that our shipped items are still en route and simple things like the lack of a can opener remind us that we have just arrived.
Over the past few weeks we have been actively involved in many activities.
|Our Apartment Building|
1. Finding an apartment - Since Dawn has an amazing grasp of Russian and we have team members with vehicles who generously spent time driving us and our agent around Kiev, we were able to quickly find an apartment in just a few days. While the distance is farther outside the center from where we had hoped, the location is nice and perfect in many ways. It has a small play area for Stevie right out front, is close (sort of-it's 1/2 mile) to two metro stops and 10 minutes from a store where Dawn can go grocery shopping. We are also about 30 minutes by public transportation from two other families on our team.
|Students on the Left and Staff on the Right|
2. Seminary Activities - Just a couple of days after our arrival the Seminary began a session which brought in students from all around Ukraine to study and attend lectures by visiting professors from the USA. This provided Steve with an opportunity to see a session first hand for the first time and get a chance to spend time learning and realizing how much he needs to learn from the current staff. It was an eye opening experience for him as he considers the things that he has been asked to do while here in Ukraine over the next few years. It is going to be exciting to see how the Lord uses him and see how the seminary changes over the years.
3. Seminary Graduation - The entire family was able to attend the graduation of three students from ERSU. The graduation was the conclusion of over 5 years of study for three men who are serving as pastors in churches - 2 in Ukraine and 1 in Belarus.
4. Church of the Big City - (Formerly SPRC) - We have been attending worship at our new home church in Ukraine. It has been a blessing to see all the old friends from many past trips and time spent living (for Dawn) here in Kiev. We were excited for everyone to finally meet Stevie in person and have him attend his first Sunday school class.
|View from Steve's Office|
5. Team Office, Worship and Team Meeting - We attended our first team meeting and team worship. This was a great blessing to spend time with others on our Kiev team and spend time getting to know everyone better as we learn more about life here in Ukraine. Steve is also getting set up at the MTW office in Kiev. It takes him about 50 minutes by walking and metro to get into the center of Kiev to the office.
6. Transportation - When you live in the USA a car is very common. In Kiev it is not essential in the city. However, when you need to take the entire family across town or to places outside of Kiev a vehicle becomes something to consider. We would like prayer as we consider how and if we might consider purchasing a vehicle.