City of Sumner's Flood Protection UpdateNovember 2011- Vol 3, Issue 2
|Sandbag training in Sumner tomorrow |
Do you know the proper way to fill and place sandbags? Yes, there actually is a proper way that maximizes sandbags' effectiveness, and it's best not to try to figure it out when the water is already rising. The City of Sumner, Army Corps of Engineers and Pierce County's Department of Emergency Management (DEM) are teaming up to offer you a chance to learn the best sandbag techniques and be ready if the water rises this winter.
Saturday, November 5, 10 am - 3 pm
At the end of Rivergrove Drive, against Hwy 410
Questions? Call DEM at 253-798-6595.
|Some sandbag tips to get you started|
- You need 2-3 people.
- One person places the bottom of the empty bag on the ground; one person shovels material in; and a third stacks the open bags.
- Open the bag by folding outward about 1- 1½ inches to form a collar.
- Don't hurry. Haste only adds work.
- Untied bags should be filled approximately one-half to two-thirds full. Tied bags can be filled slightly more with enough room left to tie off.
- Always use gloves to protect your hands during the filling operation.