Bishops support church reforms, accountability |
The Council of Bishops' approval of the Call to Action Steering Team Report on Nov. 4 was heralded as a step forward for a church that has suffered decades of membership decline in the United States. (UMNS)
Dream doctor in Lebanon|
Hughes Melton, a member at Lebanon Memorial UMC, has been named "Physician of the Year" by the American Academy of Family Physicians. (Bristol Herald Courier)
Bringing attention to rural poverty|
"The General Conference has pretty much eliminated rural poverty programs," but the UM Appalachian Ministry
Network is still getting the word out about ministries in the region. (GBHEM)
10-Fold: How did it go? |
More than 400,000 people from 92 countries helped raise more than $70,000 in 10 days through this mission web site. (UMNS)
UM Student Sunday is Nov. 28 |
This year, 49 Holston students were awarded $104,050 in scholarships and loans. The offerings taken on United Methodist Student Day funds those loans and scholarships. (GBHEM)
6 tips: Posting church photos online |
Sure, everybody puts their photos and videos online. But the church should be more careful in its practices. (UMComm)
- Bishop's mission reports: More than 80 churches have responded to Bishop James Swanson's October request for outreach information. Send reports soon to firstname.lastname@example.org (with "Bishop's Mission Request" in the subject line).
More from holston.org ...
- The Evangelism Conference has been scheduled for April 1-2 in Knoxville and features the Rev. Charles Kyker, a speaker from the last Annual Conference.
- Three weeks 'til Advent: Here's a set of meditations for Advent wreath candle lighting. Advent begins Sunday, Nov. 28.
More from umc.org ...
- Be a donor: The UMC observes Organ and Tissue Donor Sunday on Nov. 14. "We believe that organ transplantation and organ donation are acts of charity, agape love, and self-sacrifice."
- Prepare for winter storms: The Holston Disaster Response Team wants churches to use this training bulletin from FEMA.
- Bishop Swanson's gift: At Clergy Gathering, Bishop James Swanson distributed a "1-2-3-4 card" explaining Holston's and the UMC's mission and purpose. The card is available in PDF form for churches to print and share.
More calendar items...