The Great Health Care Debate|
"My point here is not political but theological. I ask myself: Why would God want me to be concerned about health care?" -- Bishop James Swanson
St. Elmo: No hate crime|
Following a devastating fire, a Chattanooga congregation grieves in the arms of a loving community.
Lutheran pact: Means what?|
Is it just church talk, or does the UMC's "full communion agreement" with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America actually mean something? (United Methodist Reporter)
Worship leader burnout|
Most churches can't afford a separate staff position, so the pastor or music director has to do this job, too. Here are 5 tips for lightening the load. (United Methodist Communications)
Camp Wesley Woods keeps improving, when other church camps are declining. The last report in our camp progress series.
The Call is coming |
The September newspaper will be postal-mailed to paid subscribers on Sept. 4. Or you may download free PDFs here.
Here's what you liked! Top three links in our last edition:
- 685 - Lutheran pact does not equal gay clergy (UMNS)
- 508 - St. Elmo church consumed by fire (CTFP)
- 344 - Sex offender arrested for church-going (CO)
More calendar items...
- Sept. 6: Buffalo Mountain Camp's 60th Birthday Party
- Sept. 11-12: "Abolishing Poverty in Appalachia" in Kingsport
- Sept. 11-13: Cross-Bearers for youth at Camp Wesley Woods
- Sept. 16-18: Holston Conference Secretaries Association Annual Conference in Sevierville
- Sept. 18-20: F.U.E.L. Sabbath Retreat in Gatlinburg
- Sept. 19-20: Native American Gathering in Tellico Plains
- Sept. 19: Camp Lookout Golf Tournament in Harrison
- Sept. 19-20: United Methodist Women's Annual Meeting in Lake Junaluska
- Sept. 26: Cyber Safety Training in Athens
- Sept. 26: ETSU Wesley Foundation Silent Auction/Barbecue
Fundraiser in Johnson City
- Oct. 4: World Communion Sunday
- Oct. 5: Hiwassee's Tiger Shoot-Out Golf Tournament at Rarity Bay Golf Club in Vonore
- Oct. 9-11: Young Adult Fall Retreat at Camp Wesley Woods
- Oct. 13: Clergy Gathering in Kingsport
- Oct. 23-24: Early Response Training in Knoxville
- Nov. 29: United Methodist Student Sunday
- Button, button: If you want your church members to look beyond their own walls, put this button on your church web site. Sign up for free subscriptions to The Call2.
More of holston.org ...
- Have a scout troop? Keith
Smith, Holston Scouting Coordinator, wants to discover the number of Boy and Girl Scout troops in this conference. If your church
sponsors scouting, please write GodCounts@aol.com.
- Ministry money: The Center on Aging & Older Adult Ministries is offering grants in the intergenerational and care-giving categories. Deadline: January 2010. Download info. (GBOD)
More of umc.org ...
- Grandparents' Day: Scripture, prayers, hymns for Sept. 13. Blest be the tie that binds. (GBOD)