Oneida kids reach out to needy people on the roadside|
Lisa Lloyd often sees them at exit 141 on I-75. But we've all seen people with signs asking for help, and then despaired about what to do. This church group came up with a solution.
We asked these associate pastors, "What book is lying on your nightstand?"
It all started in Texas|
A spy-themed program now has chapters in 17 states. Is this the next big thing for children's ministry? (UMNS)
Commentary: The Bible vs. greed|
"The rescue of the rich is taking place right now. The rest of us are being thrown to the wolves." (UMNS)
Your 2 Cents|
It's back! This is where we tell you what we're working on -- and you add your own thoughts and experiences.
Here's what you liked: The top three links in last week's (10/9/08) edition of The Call 2.
- 1 - Tough times and the conference budget: Worry?
- 2 - Actor warns against sexual abuse at Holston Home fundraiser.
- 3 - Election guide: Compare party platforms to UM principles.
More calendar items...
- Money for young adult ministry: Grants are available to create new ministries or to enhance existing ones. Download this application and submit by Nov. 15.
More of holston.org ...
- See ya' at Clergy Gathering: There's still time to register online for the Oct. 21 event at First Morristown UMC.
More of umc.org ...
- Worship resources for October/November: Hymns, preaching helps, and prayers for Laity Sunday, All Saints Sunday, and other Sundays after Pentecost. (GBOD)
- Cookbook sale starts today: "Bless This Food" includes more than 700 recipes and was created to support older adult ministries at Allen Memorial UMC. Cost: $15 plus shipping. Call Allen Memorial in Athens, Tenn., at 423-745-2560.
- "Community" day in Dandridge:Shady Grove UMC invites the public to a "40 Days of Community" celebration on Saturday, Oct. 26. Free chili, hot dogs, and entertainment; starts at 4 p.m. Call 865-397-7453 or e-mail Alyson Benningfield.
- Revival in Dandridge:The Rev. Richard Wright will preach at Mt. Zion UMC Oct. 20-22 at 7 p.m. E-mail John Thompson for info.