Tough times and the conference budget|
A look at the numbers and a revisit to faith. Also: What are your joys and concerns upon the news of the country's economic state?
Barbecue you can bank on|
A barbecue benefit and auction generated $75,696 to help rebuild Baileyton United Methodist Church. The Morristown District church was destroyed by fire last year. (Greeneville Sun)
Here's more good news|
Tennessee Wesleyan College reports a record enrollment. (Daily Post Athenian)
What's on Bishop Swanson's mind these days?
An officer and gentleman|
An actor returns to his home state to bring a warning. David Keith speaks at a Holston Home for Children fundraising event. (Greeneville Sun)
The Call is coming|
The October newspaper edition was postal-mailed to paid subscribers this week, or you may download PDFs here.
Here's what you liked: The top three links in last week's (9/24/08) edition of The Call 2.
- 1 - Church secretaries: What are they reading?
- 2 - The economy's impact on United Methodist pensions.
- 3 - How to reach children: Ideas from our own churches.
More calendar items...
- Preachers party: Cokesbury UMC pastors share leadership tactics at this year's Clergy Gathering in Morristown on Oct. 21.
More of holston.org ...
- Gone but not forgotten: The October newspaper edition of The Call tells the story of a woman, Margaret Loving, who had a heart for reaching older people. Visit the Foundation site to learn how others are long remembered for how they loved others.
- Obama or McCain? The General Board of Church and Society has prepared an election guide comparing party platforms to United Methodist principles. Also available: Bulletin inserts.
More of umc.org ...
- October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month: The General Board of Church and Society asks: "Why are pulpits so quiet on this horrible situation?"
- Cokesbury tent sale: The Johnson City store will have an Oct. 16-18 sale coinciding with Cherokee UMC's Fall Festival and Car Show. Progressive 35 percent/ 50 percent/ 70 percent discounts. E-mail JButler@Cokesbury.com for more information or call (423) 975-0800.
- Children's Sabbath: Your church can observe it Oct. 17-19 or at a more convenient time, but please don't forget the children.Visit the Children's Defense Fund site for resources.