UM pensions are "well funded," finance leaders say |
U.S. and world financial markets have hurt investments of the United Methodist Board of Pension and Health Benefits, the largest faith-based investor in the U.S. However, its leaders say the losses are still less than the broad market averages. (UMNS)
Salute to the church secretary|
"You are the first voice they hear and often the first face they'll see ... You are the introduction to the church, so Christ be with you." A report from the annual gathering of the Holston Conference Secretaries Association.
Participants at the annual church secretaries conference give refreshing answers to the question, "What book is lying on your nightstand?"
Watch for bears|
Bears are loose in Bland County, but they're not spreading panic or fear. Three churches in Tazewell District borrow a cuddly ministry idea. (Bland County Messenger)
19 ways to reach kids|
Looking for ways to reach the children of your community? Take some tips from the Change for Children winners. (3 new stories!)
Here's what you liked: The top three links in last week's (9/18/08) edition of The Call 2.
More calendar items...
- Desperate for cookies: Read last week's story about this Abingdon District prison ministry, then e-mail Sarah Taylor to let her know your group will help reach inmates now or in the future.
More of holston.org ...
- Clergy Gathering: Register online for the Oct. 21 event at First Morristown UMC. Theme: "Healthy Churches, Healthy Pastors, Audacious Hope."
- Re-design: If you're a United Methodist woman (or if you love a UM woman) visit the new and improved site for the General Commission on the Status and Role of Woman.
More of umc.org ...
- Ask: If you've got a question about the UMC (i.e., "Can children take communion?"), InfoServ will provide a quick answer.
- Flower festival: Seminars and displays at First Broad Street UMC Sept. 25-27 in Kingsport, Tenn. E-mail Diane Blachowski for reservations and info.
- Young adult sabbath: Jan. 2-4 at Simpsonwood Retreat Center, outside of Atlanta. Theme: "BE in Worship, Play, Solitude and Relationship," sponsored by the General Board of Discipleship's Young Adult Network. E-mail Julie O'Neal for more info.