Covering General Conference: Too much information?
It's over now. Do you know what happened? Here's how to navigate the extensive coverage of what was for some an emotional conference.
Fourteen people represented Holston Conference in Fort Worth, Texas. Fourteen lived to tell about it. What do you think they're reading now?
The girls from Chuckey
Seven young women from Stone Dam United Methodist Church danced on the General Conference stage for 1,000 church leaders. Here are photos and return-flight reflections.
What do you call a congregation combining United Methodists and Presbyterians? The Knoxville News Sentinel reports on an Oak Ridge District church that is temporarily uniting with its neighbors.
Bulletin insert for Sudan offering
On May 18, Holston's 910 churches will take an offering for the conference mission in Sudan. Download this bulletin insert to explain to your congregation how the offering will be used.
Bishop writes for the Roanoke Times
Bishop James Swanson speaks out on global warming: "We must take care that our actions do not damage our world or bring harm to our fellow man."
- Hands-on mission project begins now and concludes in early June. Learn of your district's assignment, drop-off points, and deadlines.
More of holston.org ...
- Junior High and Senior High Assembly is July 7-11 at Hiwassee College. Find out more and register online.
- May is Mental Health Month. Empower church members who struggle with mental health issues through these resources.
More of umc.org ...
- May 18 is Peace With Justice Sunday. Download bulletin inserts, talking points, and other resources.
- Pat Summitt, University of Tennessee women's basketball coach, is keynote speaker for Tennessee Wesleyan College's commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 10, 9 a.m. in Nocatula Garden. (Rain location: McMinn County High School.) Bishop James Swanson will speak the Baccalaureate address on Friday, 8 p.m., in Townsend Auditorium. More info: Call 800-PICK-TWC.
- E-mail changing? Don't let your subscription slip away. Click on "Update Profile/Email Address" at the bottom of this newsletter to change your address. (All clergy and lay committee members should also inform their district offices.)
- Share, please. The Call 2 is free, convenient, and it doesn't kill trees! Invite your congregation to sign up at www.thecalltwo.holston.org.