New/Old Client Special
$25 for 2 Weeks Unlimited! Must be an Arizona resident. Valid for new students and those who have not practiced at our studio since February 1st, 2010!
20% off all other yoga packages during your first two weeks!
|July 4th Holiday|
Regular schedule all week except for Wednesday, July 4th. We are offering classes at 7 AM, 9 AM, and 11 AM ONLY on this day.
There's nothing easy about the 30 or 60 Day Challenge. 30/60 hot and sweaty 90 minute classes in 30/60 days is tough (we don't call it a challenge for nothing!). At the end of it though, you have to admit it was worth it!
Just ask any of these yogis who recently finished their challenges!
5/9 Suraj Darra
5/10 Karla Burch
5/16 Brent Larson
5/18 Monica Hecker
5/30 Julie Lachman
6/9 Andy Perez
6/11 Ann Adams
6/12 Millie Stamey
6/13 Angela Mahony
60 Day 5/4 Nancy Gray
5/25 Cristina Garcia
If you have finished your challenge but have not received your certificate and gifts, please see us at the front desk!
Would you like to share your Bikram Yoga story? Can we include you in our next newsletter? How has Bikram Yoga helped you? We would love to know and if we publish your testimonial, we will add $25 to your account.
|Charles and Jennifer are coming home!|
Charles and Jennifer will be graduating from Bikram Yoga teacher training on June 17th. We are excited to have Charles on the schedule Monday, June 18 and Jennifer in early August after her family vacation. They are about to complete over 700 hours of intense yoga training in Los Angeles. Congrats you two!
Free First Friday for Firefighters, Police and Paramedics
|As a service to our community, Bikram Yoga Tempe offers FREE yoga to all Phoenix Metropolitan area firefighters, police, and paramedics for the first Friday of ever month. Please bring a valid ID and choose from the 6 am, 9 am, 12 pm, 2:30 pm, 4:30 pm and 6:30 pm classes. |
Friday, July 6th is the next First Friday!
Firefighters, police and paramedics also receive 10% off our yoga packages.
|Lost and Found|
|Left something behind? Ask the front desk to check the back. Items not picked up are donated to Good Will at the end of each month. For sanitary reasons, we cannot hold onto wet towels or underwear.|
Receive 10% off retail during the week of your birthday!
|Questions? Comments? Suggestions?|
Please do not hesitate to let us know how we can improve our facility. We strive to make Bikram Yoga Tempe a very comfortable, peaceful environment for everyone.
|WellSpring Holistic Health|
A Wellness Center affiliated with Bikram Yoga Tempe
Wellspring, a beautiful wellness center created by Dr. Benjamin Zorensky, ND, is located at the northeast corner of Kyrene and Warner at 430 W Warner Rd. Ste 104. The center hosts the following practitioners:
Licensed Massage Therapist, "Pain Relief Guru", Yoga Teacher
Reflexology, Reiki, Energy Healing, Spiritual Life Coaching, Metaphysical Consultation and Therapeutic Prayer
Life Rejuvenation, Couples Coaching and Grief Counseling
Certified Bikram Yoga Teacher
MBS Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork
Certified Bikram Yoga Teacher
The lecture/yoga room is currently available for lease. For inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 480-323-9641.
Wouldn't that rad dad in your life love to sweat, release stress, and thaw stiff muscles? He may even touch his toes for the first time in 30 years. You don't need to be flexible to practice Bikram Yoga. In fact, if you can't touch your toes or even see them, you are an excellent candidate for yoga.
We stumbled across an old list from the BYT archives the other day and thought it would be appropriate to share again in honor of Father's Day.
8 Great Reasons Guys Should Do Bikram Yoga:
1. It makes you more attractive; you'll look strong and sensitive. (Heck, Bikram Yoga is the real deal: you'll BE strong and sensitive).
2. The heated environment makes you sweat and your muscles will glisten.
3. Bikram Yoga is a great cross-trainer. It will enhance your performance in other fitness activities (and yes, it will enhance your sex life too).
4. Friends won't be afraid to ride in the car with you anymore since the stress-relieving, endorphin-boosting aspects of Bikram Yoga will help cure your chronic road rage.
5. With the improved mental focus you achieve through regular Bikram yoga, you'll be the star performer at work.
6. You'll get a reputation as a cutting edge kind of guy. Of the estimated 25 million yoga enthusiasts in the US, 30% are men.
7. You'll get brownie points for quality time when you bring your sweetie to class with you. (Not to mention looking strong and sensitive, having glistening muscles, and that enhanced sex life thing).
8. Bikram Yoga will give you enough confidence to wear spandex!
Also check out '5 Bikram Yoga Benefits for Men' by Bikram Yoga Vancouver HERE.
Happy Father's Day to all the rad dad's out there!
|Father's Day |
Sunday, June 17th!
Bring your dad or your friend who is a dad to class on Father's Day and if he is a new client, he can attend class for FREE and still qualify for our Introductory Special, Two Weeks of Unlimited Yoga for $25!
Father's Day Quote:
"My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person; he believed in me." -Jim Valvano
Father's Day Gift Ideas!
- The Gift of Health! Gift Certificates are available for any amount. Help him relieve stress by giving him the opportunity to practice more yoga!
- YogiToes Towel! The perfect towel for your mat; it's slip-resistant, anti-microbial, and made from organic materials. Feels like suede! Once you practice on one it is hard to ever go back to a rough, wrinkled towel!
- Men's yoga wear that will truly make a difference during your practice. Max shorts and Shakti shorts are flattering and the fabric wicks away moisture, keeping you cooler. The men's shorts were designed by male Bikram Yoga practitioners so they really know what men want to wear in a hot room!
- Bikram/Breathe Mat: a towel and mat in one! Washer/dryer safe
- Bikram merchandise: books, cds, stainless steel water bottles
- Co-owner, Dr. Benjamin Zorensky, ND, is also a photographer and his photographs, which decorate the walls of the studio, are for sale. For inquires, visit www.bezphotography.com
- BYT t-shirts from American Apparel!
- A new yoga mat! Kulae products are eco-friendly and offer superior quality.
By Karla Kay
This month marks the 5th anniversary of the first day my life began to change as I walked into the Bikram Yoga Tempe studio. Although I had done many different types of yoga since 2000, I never felt committed to a practice. I couldn't understand why yoga was never done in a heated room to make it easier on my sore muscles. Someone told me there was such a thing; it was called Bikram Yoga. I googled it and took my first class the next day in June 2007. I immediately knew after class that I had found my yoga. The instructors were great, and the desk staff always so helpful. Yet, I was still going through a very dark time in my life.
In 2003, I was in a tragic car accident where three people died and my life as I knew it changed forever. My family and I were driving home from a short vacation from Magic Mountain before our girls started back to school. We were about an hour away from home when a tire blew and our SUV rolled several times instantly killing everyone on the right hand side. My husband, my youngest daughter who was 11, and my oldest daughter (who survived the accident), her best friend who was 15, also died.
My daughter and I were air lifted and the doctors actually wheeled me next to my 14 year old daughter to say any words I needed to say. They told me I had less than a 50 percent chance of surviving the surgeries that I needed. Little did they know I had crossed over with my husband and daughter and they told me it was not my time, I had to go back. My injuries were severe, as I went from a wheel chair to walker to finally being able to stand on my own.
When I found Bikram Yoga Tempe, although I always felt great after class, I attended only a couple classes a week and would skip a week or two. I continued this cycle for a couple of years. In between there, I was in another car accident and needed another surgery for a fractured elbow.
In 2009, I decided to do the 30 Day Challenge. It changed my life. I started making more of a commitment to start taking care of myself and healing myself from the inside out. I always looked for answers in my savasana's. In 2010, after a long savasana, I heard a voice say, 'drop everything and go to teacher training.' So I went. And the day of teacher training graduation, I received in my hands my first book that I had worked over three years on, Grief: The Universal Emotion of Loss.
This yoga continues to help center and ground me in the work I do today working with people in grief, loss and trauma. Physically, this yoga has helped me gain back the strength in the left side of my body, and repaired nerve damage in both sides of my legs. Spiritually, it connects me to a deeper part of myself and my loved ones and helps with the deep self-realization that life after grief truly exists.
My hope is that someday Bikram yoga will be prescribed after grief, loss and trauma as easily as an anti-depressant.
Please join me at Changing Hands Bookstore on July 27th from 7 to 9 PM for a talk and book signing! You can purchase my book at Bikram Yoga Tempe, Changing Hands, Borders, and Amazon.com.
Karla Kay has been teaching at Bikram Yoga Tempe since 2010. Her nurturing spirit is captivating and soothing. We are honored to have her teach at BYT and look forward to attending her book signing! Karla is also a life coach and grief counselor at WellSpring Holistic Health, NEC of Warner and Kyrene. Her website is www.karlakay.us
|Yoga Tip|Awkward Pose- Utkatasana
Benefits for Awkward Pose:
- tones and shapes your legs like nobody's business
- and quickly: the definition and strength you gain here are among yoga's fastest results
- a great warm-up because it stimulates circulation, sending blood roaring to your lower extremities
- eliminates chronically cold feet
- relieves rheumatism and arthritis in the legs
- helps to cure slipped discs and other problems in the lower spine
- promotes laser-beam concentration
|Health Tip |
Bikram Yoga promotes detoxification through the process of sweating. Our skin is the largest organ of elimination- and absorption. It is important to know what we apply to our skin and absorb into our bodies, like sunscreens.
The Truth about Sunscreens
(Taken from Bastyr Center for Natural Health article by Kris Somol, ND)
"Using sun protection is crucial for reducing the risk of certain skin cancers, but Dr. Somol recommends reading ingredient labels carefully when choosing a product. "Some sunscreens may actually promote the development of cancer because they contain chemicals that lead to increased free radicals," she reports. The most common culprit is oxybenzone, found in roughly 42 percent of sunscreens. Oxybenzone causes allergic skin reactions and hormone disruption and is likely to actually increase your risk of skin cancer. (Consult the list below for other common sunscreen ingredients to avoid)."
Which sunscreen ingredients are safer?
Seek out sunscreens that include zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. Products containing zinc oxide and titanium dioxide provide about 20 percent better UV protection than other sunscreens. Plus, products with these safer ingredients generally contain fewer of the harmful ingredients listed in the table. Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are now available in nanoparticle form and these products will protect your skin without the telltale opaque white appearance. Dr. Somol is careful to note however, that consumers should avoid aerosol versions of zinc and titanium products because they can be harmful if inhaled. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) provides a vast and detailed database of sunscreen ratings on its website: www.ewg.org."
READ YOUR LABELS....
DO NOT USE IF YOUR SUNSCREEN CONTAINS:
- Oxybenzone: Hormone disruptor. Releases reactive oxygen (may cause cancer). Allergic reactions. Estrogen-like effects. 9% (significant amount) absorbed into bloodstream. Found in 42% of sunscreens.
- Octinoxate: (Octyl methoxycinnamate) Estrogen-like effects. Disrupts thyroid activity and brain signaling in animal testing. Easily absorbed into the skin. Most commonly used ingredient. Hypoallergenic. Can lead to reproductive as well as developmental toxicity and can cause endocrine disruptions.
- Homosalate: Forms toxic byproducts. Weak hormone disruptor.
- Ensulizole: (phenyl-benzimidazole sulfonic acid) Causes formation of free radicals (may cause cancer).
- Padamate O: (octyl dimethyl PABA / PABA ester) Causes formation of free radicals (may cause cancer). Allergic reactions. Estrogen-like effects.
- Methyl anthranilate: Unstable when exposed to sunlight. Causes formation of free radicals (may cause cancer). Banned in Europe.
Source: Environmental Working Group
GET YOGA FOR FREE!
The person who refers the most people every month will receive a FREE 30 DAY UNLIMITED ($150 value)! Please make sure your friends write down your first and last name on the registration sheet.
Congratulations to Lucy Aubrecht who referred 4 people in Mayl!
Please note: A minimum of 4 referrals is needed to win.
Best of Health,
Elaina and Dr. Benjamin Zorensky, ND, Co-Owners
and Staff of Bikram Yoga Tempe, est. 2002!
1825 E Guadalupe Rd #103
Tempe, AZ 85283