New/Old Client Special
$25 for 2 Weeks Unlimited! Must be an Arizona resident. Valid for new students and those who have not practiced at our studio since February 1st, 2010!
20% off all other yoga packages during your first two weeks!
Regular schedule all weekend except for Monday, May 28th (Memorial Day). We are offering a 7 AM and 9 AM ONLY on this day.
There's nothing easy about the 30 or 60 Day Challenge. 30/60 hot and sweaty 90 minute classes in 30/60 days is tough (we don't call it a challenge for nothing!). At the end of it though, you have to admit it was worth it!
Just ask any of these yogis who recently finished their challenges!
Veronica Aldrete 4/1
Robyn Unrau 4/15
Maria Silva 4/15
Fatima Silva 4/15
Mary Rico 4/15
Alyssa Bowles 4/16
Kim Whattler 4/16
Cristina Garcia 4/25
Doree Gardner 4/30
Suraj Darra 5/5
Carmen Blankenship 4/7
Sheri Owens 4/7
Megan Gibson 4/12
Comelia Orndorf 4/20
Tracey Thompson-Burke 4/26
Nancy Gray 5/4
If you have finished your challenge but have not received your certificate and gifts, please see us at the front desk!
Would you like to share your Bikram Yoga story? Can we include you in our next newsletter? How has Bikram Yoga helped you? We would love to know and if we publish your testimonial, we will add $25 to your account.
Free First Friday for Firefighters, Police and Paramedics
|As a service to our community, Bikram Yoga Tempe offers FREE yoga to all Phoenix Metropolitan area firefighters, police, and paramedics for the first Friday of ever month. Please bring a valid ID and choose from the 6 am, 9 am, 12 pm, 2:30 pm, 4:30 pm and 6:30 pm classes. |
Friday, June 1st is the next First Friday!
Firefighters, police and paramedics also receive 10% off our yoga packages.
|Lost and Found|
|Left something behind? Ask the front desk to check the back. Items not picked up are donated to Good Will at the end of each month. For sanitary reasons, we cannot hold onto wet towels or underwear.|
Receive 10% off retail during the week of your birthday!
|Questions? Comments? Suggestions?|
Please do not hesitate to let us know how we can improve our facility. We strive to make Bikram Yoga Tempe a very comfortable, peaceful environment for everyone.
|WellSpring Holistic Health|
A Wellness Center affiliated with Bikram Yoga Tempe
Wellspring, a beautiful wellness center created by Dr. Benjamin Zorensky, ND, is located at the northeast corner of Kyrene and Warner at 430 W Warner Rd. Ste 104. The center hosts the following practitioners:
Licensed Massage Therapist, "Pain Relief Guru", Yoga Teacher
Reflexology, Reiki, Energy Healing, Spiritual Life Coaching, Metaphysical Consultation and Therapeutic Prayer
Life Rejuvenation, Couples Coaching and Grief Counseling
Certified Bikram Yoga Teacher
MBS Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork
Certified Bikram Yoga Teacher
The lecture/yoga room is currently available for lease. For inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 480-323-9641.
Ninety minutes in the hot room can be a sanctuary for all of us--especially mothers! In addition to the hour and a half of personal time Bikram yoga provides, the sequence of 26 and 2 can really help shed post-baby pounds. Celeb Rebecca Romijn gave birth to twins in 2008. "Losing weight was probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life," Romijn, 39, tells Fitness magazine. "Everything I did before I got pregnant...didn't work anymore. I had to change the way I worked out, the way I ate--everything." So what did work, post babies? Bikram Yoga, she says. We agree!
Happy Mother's Day to all the amazing mama's out there!
|Mother's Day |
Sunday, May 13th!
New T-shirt coming soon!
Bring your mom or your friend who is a mom to class on Mother's Day and if she is a new client, she can attend class for FREE and still qualify for our Introductory Special, Two Weeks of Unlimited Yoga for $25.
Mother's Day Gift Ideas!
- The Gift of Health! Gift Certificates are available for any amount.
- YogiToes Towel! The perfect towel for your mat; it's slip-resistant, anti-microbial, and made from organic materials. Feels like suede! Once you practice on one it is hard to ever go back to a rough, wrinkled towel!
- Yoga wear that will truly make a difference during your practice. lululemon athletica is 30% off right now. The fabric is of the highest quality and wicks away moisture, keeping you cooler. It is seamless, tagless and chafe-free as well! Shakti Activewear is super stylish and they supply us with the hottest, most flattering shorts in town!
- Bikram/Breathe Mat: a towel and mat in one! Washer/dryer safe
- Bikram merchandise: books, cds, stainless steel water bottles, and pregnancy dvd
- Life Aromatherapy products. We proudly carry Carrie's line of Chakra sprays and Healing Oil.
- Co-owner, Dr. Benjamin Zorensky, ND, is also a photographer and his photographs, which decorate the walls of the studio, are for sale. For inquires, visit www.bezphotography.com
- BYT tees/tanks from American Apparel!
- A new yoga mat! Kulae products are eco-friendly and offer superior quality.
By Bret Maverick
This letter is a thank you and a true testimonial to the awesome power of Bikram Yoga!
On October 30th, 2009, to no fault of my own, I was involved in a car accident. While I was driving I was hit by another car on the passenger side of my vehicle. The wreck caused an injury to my neck and spine. I suffered side-by-side, left and right whiplash of my neck, bruised my upper spine. After my accident, the only recommendation my doctor offered was pain medication and physical therapy. I always made a conscious effort to manage my health and be an active member of my gym. My normal routine was forced to be altered after my accident. I was no longer able to be in the gym as much as I wanted, instead I was stuck doing physical therapy twice a week that seemed like an ineffective, slow recovery.
Two months after my accident I was starting to feel better then it hit me, another car accident(January 10th, 2010). It was exactly the same accident I experienced just a couple months ago. The side-by-side whiplash was more intense and my back, neck, and shoulders were bound and twisted into one painful knot. The facility where I was receiving my physical therapy literally told me that they had exhausted all treatment plans for me. I was depressed, sad, overweight and in constant pain.
One month had passed since my accident and I was not in any better shape. I was lying on my couch and had an epiphany. An acquaintance from a past employer once told me in passing the benefits of Bikram Yoga. He told me about BYT in 2007, everything about that conversation came to the forefront of my mind. I remembered that he told me the environment of the class was very hot and humid making it the ideal climate to stretch in. I did not waste any time and began my journey with Bikram in February 2010.
When I started Bikram, I was 198lbs. 35 to 40 pounds overweight for my size. I never expected to lose much weight. I just wanted to feel better and get back to my normal self again. Every class was a challenge and an overall improvement on my health. I felt better from the very first class I attended. I completed my 2 week trial and I was hooked! I committed to a one-year membership and thus my transformation began. I started my 30-day challenge, which turned into 60, which turned into 90! I made it to 104 classes in 104 days. It took a lot of effort on my part because of my work schedule. I made it a part of my life,sometimes taking two to three classes a day to keep up with the challenge. I went from 198lbs to a remarkable 160lbs! My neck, back, and shoulder problems were healed and I was very blessed.
From the tragedies of my accidents I was able to find the silver lining by experiencing the healing power of Bikram Yoga. The staff always welcomed me with a positive attitude and was able to encourage me to push myself and grow. Being that I had spent so much time at the facility, it has been such a professional and warm environment to promote a healthy living. I have been out of state for the last 9 months and extremely excited to be back so I may make more positive strides in my practice. Thank you Bikram Yoga Tempe!
We are so happy for you Bret!
Triangle Pose/ Trikanasana
|Bikram's Triangle Tip Video submitted by Bikram Yoga Tempe.MPG|
10 Teacher-tested Tips for a Better Triangle (thanks to an excerpt from Yoga Teacher Journal's page on Facebook):
1. Stretch your arms both up and down. Do not just hang there! Stretch down to the floor and up toward the ceiling in both directions at the same time.
2. Touch the chin exactly to the shoulder. Do not let the neck relax; it is engaged. If you want to look at your posture in the mirror, quickly use your eyes. Otherwise your eyes should be toward the ceiling.
3. Keep the shoulders down. Try and touch your shoulder blades together during the setup to open the chest. Do not let the shoulders rise once the arms have turned. There is a tendency to bring your shoulder to your chin but the chin should move toward the shoulder.
4. Push both your hips forward toward the mirror. Instead of relaxing the hips down or back, make sure you are using your legs to push your hips forward.
5. Touch your lower fingers between the big and the second toe. If you can't touch the toes, you need to sit down more.
6. When stretching your arm toward the ceiling, keep your torso flat in a straight line. Do not let rib cage stick out.
7. The body weight should be on the bent leg with back foot flat and pronated.
8. Stay positive. This is one of the hardest postures because it requires every muscle in your body to work while trying to maintain the breath. This means attitude is everything - it's going to hurt like hell, but it will give you a lot of benefits so don't give up.
9. Keep your hips down, sit down and do not let your hips come up.
10. Breathe. As the dialogue says, "This is a perfect marriage between the heart and the lungs." Which means better coordination between your heart and lungs.
Medical Benefits for Triangle Pose:
- Exercises every muscle, cell, tissue, organ, ligament, gland, joint simultaneously
- An excellent cardiovascular workout
- Intensely stretches each side of the body
- Opens and increases flexibility of hip joints
- Reduces saddle bags
- Good for kidneys, thyroid and adrenal glands
- Opens shoulder joint, good for frozen shoulders
- Strengthens and tones legs and buttocks
- Tones abdominal muscles
- Helps regulate hormone levels
- Works all muscular groups simultaneously
- Helps conditions of constipation, colitis, low blood pressure, appendicitis, spondylitis, menstrual disorders
|BYT Supports Tempe Family Fun Run!|
Saturday, May 12th www.tempefamilyfunrun.com
Recent studies have shown that children today are not expected to outlive their parents. "Because...individuals are reaching a higher prevalence of obesity earlier in the life course, they are experiencing a greater cumulative exposure to excess weight over their lifetime, which will likely have profound implications for future rates of obesity-related chronic diseases and mortality within the US population." Unhealthy lifestyles are the main contributing factor of this disturbing trend. According to the CDC, obesity rates in children and adolescents have tripled since 1980. With one-third of adults and seventeen percent of children and adolescents qualifying as obese, the financial cost is incredible. As of 2008, $147 billion was spent on medical care costs due to obesity. The Naturopathic Advocacy and Community Awareness Team (NACT) has created the 1st Annual "Tempe Family Fun Run & Walk" on May 12th 2012, as a way to generate positive change in the health of Arizona families and reverse this disturbing trend.
N-ACT is a non-profit organization started by students at Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine in 2003. Their main objective is to use grassroots approaches to educating the public on the importance of healthy lifestyles as well as how alternative modalities can aid in positive change in the health of their family. To achieve these goals they are kicking off their first community event, "Tempe Family Fun Run & Walk". This event will be a 5K run and walk that will take place on May 12, 2012 in beautiful Kiwanis park in Tempe. They are looking for health fair vendors for this event and this would give you exposure to between 500-700 attendees. The Mayor of Tempe, Hugh Hallman, will attend the event. Go to www.tempefamilyfunrun.com to learn more about the event and join them for a little run and tons of fun, while creating healthy families one by one! Money raised from this event with enable N-ACT to support students and states in their quest to educate the public on healthy lifestyles and licensure for Naturopathic Doctors.
BYT will have a booth at this great event. Come check it out and bring your family!
GET YOGA FOR FREE!
The person who refers the most people every month will receive a FREE 30 DAY UNLIMITED ($150 value)! Please make sure your friends write down your first and last name on the registration sheet.
Congratulations to Allison Lamarr who referred 9 people in April!
Please note: A minimum of 4 referrals is needed to win.
|Mother's Day Quotes:|
"All mothers are working mothers." ~Author Unknown
"My mom is a never ending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune." ~Graycie Harmon
|Best of Health, |
Elaina and Dr. Benjamin Zorensky, ND, Co-Owners
and Staff of Bikram Yoga Tempe, est. 2002!
1825 E Guadalupe Rd #103
Tempe, AZ 85283