The CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 establishes requirements for those who send commercial email, spells out penalties for spammers and companies whose products are advertised in spam if they violate the law, and gives consumers the right to ask emailers to stop spamming them.
The 2 basic types of compliance defined in the CAN-SPAM Act refer to unsubscribe and content:Unsubscribe Compliance
- A visible and operable unsubscribe mechanism is present in all emails.
- Consumer opt-out requests are honored within 10 days.
- Opt-out lists also known as suppression lists are only used for compliance purposes. Content Compliance
- Accurate from lines
- Relevant subject lines (to offer in body content and not deceptive)
- A legitimate physical address of the publisher or advertiser is present.
- A label is present if the content is adult.
Read more: CAN-SPAM Act: Requirements for Commercial Emailers
Keep your email campaign compliant by using a Email Marketing Provider such as Constant Contact who enforce the CAN_SPAM Act. eXtra Contact
is a Platinum Business Partner with Constant Contact.