Term: January 2013 through December 2015
Deadline for Letters of Nomination: August 15, 2011
The American Evaluation Association (AEA) invites nominations for the editorship of New Directions for Evaluation (NDE).
New Directions for Evaluation (NDE), a quarterly sourcebook, is an official publication of the American Evaluation Association. It is a peer-reviewed journal that publishes empirical, methodological, and theoretical works on all aspects of evaluation. The issues may focus on any topic relevant to evaluation as a discipline, profession, or practice. The following illustrate potential foci for NDE:
1. evaluation theory including the philosophical groundings of evaluation or conceptual issues in evaluation. For example, the basis for justifying evaluative conclusions or explications of core concepts like validity;
2. evaluation practice such as approaches, methods, or techniques that can be applied. For example, the use of templates, case studies, or survey research;
3. professional issues of importance for the field of evaluation. For example, the use of evaluation or locus of evaluation capacity;
4. societal issues that draw out the implications of intellectual, social, or cultural developments for the field of evaluation. For example, AIDS, intercultural competence, or poverty.
Editor responsibilities and duties include soliciting proposals for guest edited issues, accepting and rejecting proposals and manuscripts based on their quality and suitability for NDE, guiding issues through the review process, overseeing revisions, and working with the publisher on production matters. The Publisher is responsible for all production aspects of NDE. The Editor will receive modest editorial support of $6,500 per year to cover costs of postage, telephone, photocopying and other direct expenses.
Nominees should meet the following criteria:
- Have a track record of publishing in peer reviewed journals
- Possess good managerial and organizational skills
- Have been a member of AEA for at least three years
- Demonstrate a commitment to AEA's values
- Ideally, have previous editorial experience
Self-nominations and nominations of others are welcome. We welcome nominations from individuals and from a pair of colleagues with varied backgrounds who wish to serve as co-editors. Nominees may be asked to submit supplemental materials or to participate in an interview.
Because NDE is a thematic journal, it has an extended lead time between review of a proposal for an issue and publication of an issue. Thus, we are seeking considerable overlap between the current and new editor to allow both for transfer of process knowledge as well as shepherding of issues throughout the process by the new editor that will be published under her or his tutelage.
The deadline for nominations is August 15, 2011. Appointment of the new editor will be made no later than October 15, 2011 so that he or she may meet with the New Editor at the 2011 AEA Conference in Anaheim, and learn from the current editor and the journal publisher prior to taking over as editor-in-chief on January 1, 2013.
Send letter of nomination, including curriculum vita, via email to Christina Christie, Chair, AEA NDE Editor Selection Task Force, at [email protected]. Please feel free to contact Christina with any questions.