Buy Fresh Buy Local Banner
Hancock Harvest Council 
News, Announcements & Meeting Minutes    
Nov 4, 2011

Dear HHC members and interested parties,  

Please review this information carefully.  We have a lot going on right now.  If at all possible, try to attend the meeting on Tuesday, November 8th at 7pm at the Extension Office.  We are not meeting on Monday, due to the Extension Annual Meeting, which is on Monday evening.

We know that summer is usually busiest for all our members, therefore we have had poor attendance at the meetings this summer, so we will approve all minutes from May - October at the meeting on Tuesday.  I am including them in this newsletter.  Sorry for the length, but this should be easier than having going back to prior notices.
 
If you have brochures that we can have with the HHC booth, please bring them to the meeting.  We want to help promote your business, this can be brochures, business cards, etc.  We usually have Tuttle Orchards and Piney Acres, but would love to have more.
 
Start thinking about officers for our group, as elections will be in January.
 
Food Hub - more information below, this is a great opportunity for members of our group, hope you can attend some of the meetings.

Agenda for our meeting:
  • Approve meeting minutes
  • Treasurer's report
  • Food Hub
  • December 5th - Pitch-in - Does anyone want to host or just hold at the Extension Office
  • Membership Drive - think about your neighbors, invite them to a meeting to see if they would be interested in marketing directly to the public, not necessarily at a farmers market.  We have lots to offer, especially with the food hub.
  • BFBL
  • Farmers
  • Agritourism Ordinance
  • Market reports
  • MyLocalIndiana.com - state wide group, open to new members
  • Nominations for officers in preparation for January Election
  • Misc items

 

Barb Smith, BFBL Contact & Editor
In This Issue
Food Hub Meeting Info
October Meeting Minutes
September Meeting Minutes
July Meeting
June Meeting Minutes
May Meeting Minutes
Membership Benefits
Mission Statement
Vision & Values

Central Indiana Food Hub

Meeting - Friday, Nov 18 and Tue, Nov 29

 

The Central Indiana Food Hub did receive the USDA Specialty Crop Block Grant which will be administered by the Indiana State Department of Agriculture for the purpose of conducting a feasibility study and preparing a business plan for a Central Indiana Food Hub... What a great opportunity for the farmers and consumers of our region!!!

  

This will be a process... a journey... and while we might like to assume and jump to conclusions about the need for such a facility (OK... I am guilty of this also) , this process will help us see more clearly what opportunities really do exist and what the challenges may be...

 

 Additionally this process will be one which will inform many in the region about what a food hub is and if it does become a reality we should be able to develop a fairly exhaustive list of those who would support it as it moves forward (IF it moves forward!).

  

No one like a lot of meetings but this will involve a few gatherings of folks to assess interest etc... every effort will be made to be efficient in the use of your time. Your input is VITAL to the process.

 

While our official (grant funded) work cannot begin until January 1, to keep on our timeline we will likely need to meet a couple of time between now and then.

  

I have scheduled the following 2 meetings....

 

Each of these will include a presentation about what a food hub is...what the benefits are/can be and what the challenges are...

 

You are welcome to either or both of these (the second is a repeat of the first) but they are intended as a general overview...

 

The second evening session will be followed by a working session to discuss the specifics of the grant and our responsibility regarding the selection of a consultant. Barb Smith has done some research to this end...see attached...and I have attached some supplemental reading...

 

I do hope that you will be able to attend at least the second half of the meeting on the 29th ( at 7pm)

 

Discussion items...  

  • Grant overview
  • Grant Timeline
  • Responsibilities of the consultant
  • Consultant selection process
  • Other?

     

    Friday...November 18-Noon-1pm Food Hub Overview-What is a Food Hub and how would it benefit me as a farmer or consumer in Central Indiana? Plenty of time for questions and answers. Purdue Extension office.

     

    Tuesday...November 29- 6-7pm Food Hub Overview (repeat). Program followed at 7pm with an organizational meeting of farmers and others to discuss the Food Hub Grant timeline and employment process for the Consultant who will conduct the feasibility study. Attend either or both. Everyone welcome! Purdue Extension office.

     

    We will need at least one additional meeting in December (early) to meet with potential consultant candidates...

      

Roy Ballard

Purdue Extension Educator  

Agriculture and Natural Resources

Hancock County

802 North Apple Street

Greenfield, IN 46140

317-462-1113

317-462-2424 FAX

 

rballard@purdue.edu

 

 

 **Note:  You may have recieved this notice directly from Roy

October 2011 Meeting Minutes

Meeting minutes for Hancock Harvest Council Regular Meeting held October 3, 2011 at Piney Acres.

 

Attendance: Earl and Barb Smith, Rex Zenor, Rick Cole, Glen Reynolds, Edna Yeager, Roy Ballard.

 

The meeting was called to order at 7:05pm by Earl Smith.

 

We discussed the date of our next meeting which is usually the first Monday of each month but the Extension Board's Annual Meeting will be November 7. The Ag Association will meet November 14. Our next meeting will be Tuesday, November 8 with location to be determined. (Will be at the Purdue Extension Office.)

 

The approval of the meeting minutes for September was delayed until the November meeting when we will also receive a formal treasurer's report from Treasurer, Steve Hatch.

 

The Extension Office will be holding a Spaghetti Dinner October 9 at the Fairgrounds with the proceeds donated to breast cancer research. The Ag Association Fish Fry will be at the Fairgrounds October 15. We will set up a booth. We plan to have a booth at St. Michaels Festival. We need to get brochures of producers to pass out.

 

We need to establish a slate of officers for next year's election in January.

 

We will have a pitch-in dinner at our December 5 meeting.

 

In January we will set up a booth at the Horticultural Congress meeting.

 

We need to talk with members selling products to businesses and restaurants about these businesses becoming members of Buy Fresh Buy Local.

 

The next Food Hub meeting will be at 6:30pm on October 4 at the Extension Office.

 

The agritourism county ordinance is still in progress. We need to read the ordinance before we go to the meeting to be united in our position.

 

We discussed how to get more people to the meetings and what we have to offer. Suggestions: newspaper ad every three to four months about joining HHC; donating booth space at the Farmers' Market to young people; younger growers need to be encouraged; we are not meeting the growing demand for quality products as eggs, produce, poultry, etc.

 

The next HHC meeting will be Tuesday, November 8 with the location to be determined.

 

Thank you to Rex Zenor of Piney Acres for hosting our meeting.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:35pm.

 

Submitted by:

Edna Yeager

Secretary 

September 2011 Meeting Minutes
 

Meeting minutes for Hancock Harvest Council Regular Meeting held September 6, 2011 at the Extension Office.

 

Attendance: Barb Smith, Glen Reynolds, Rex Zenor, Edna Yeager, Roy Ballard, Gary Mithoefer, Rick Cole, Earl Smith.

 

The meeting was called to order at 7:26pm by Rex Zenor.

 

The fair booths were discussed. The Hancock County Fair booth was a success. Many people attending the fair did not know there is a Farmers' Market in Greenfield. We talked with many people and passed out many directories. We had about 250 surveys turned in and they were very positive about local foods. That same interest is also shown by the National Farmers' Market Association statistics. The registered markets have increased from 1700 in 1994 to 7175 in 2011. Also more are accepting SNAP (food stamps).

 

The State Fair booth was also a success. While unmanned, about 1500 directories were distributed along with brochures from some of our member producers. We would like to display a larger number of producers' brochures in the future.

 

We will be participating with a booth at the festival at St. Michaels Church in October or November. Any member wishing to display their brochures is encouraged to do so. It was discussed that a rack to hold these brochures would be a good way to present them.

 

The next meeting of the Food Hub project will be held Monday, September 12, 2011 at 6:30pm at the Extension Office. The USDA is really interested in furthering the concept of Food Hubs to distribute local foods to the rural areas as well as the small towns and larger cities. There is a Rural Development grant at Muncie that we will explore as a source of funding for our project.

 

The Agritourism Ordinance is in its 6th version. This looks like it will pass. The next step is a full public hearing with a larger percent of rural people who aren't farmers attending. Mike Dale is doing a good job putting the information together. Standards need to be set up. This will help to dispel peoples' fears of going from a few to too many agritourism venues.

 

The state agritourism meeting, My Local Indiana, includes Farmers' Markets, Agritourism and CSAs. They have been working on by-laws and the website. The next meeting is November 17, 2011 from 10:00am to 12:00pm when they will be voting on the by-laws and possibly officers.

 

The agritourism liability law is in effect. It requires a simple sign with a word for word statement, specific size one inch lettering in black, post at entrance to property and doesn't need a sign permit. The need for an inclement weather plan was also discussed. Farm Bureau lowered their rates 25% because of the new law which should reduce liability thus should reduce rates.

 

A meeting of the Natural Resource Enterprise Organization will be held September 8, 2011 at Piney Acres. Topics discussed will include zoning and health regulations.

 

A copy of "edible INDY", the first issue of a new magazine, was passed around at the meeting. This is a part of the Edible Publications with several cities represented in their own magazine. Get more information at www.ediblecommunities.com.

 

The next HHC meeting will be held October 3, 2011 at Piney Acres at 7:00pm. Bring your brochures to the meeting if you would like them included at the St. Michaels Church booth.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:18pm.

 

Submitted by:

Edna Yeager

Secretary 

July 2011 Meeting
 
Instead of a regular meeting, we combined our meeting with the Central Indiana Food Hub meeting on July 6, 2011.  No minutes were taken for a HHC meeting. 
June 2011 Meeting Minutes

Meeting minutes for HHC Regular Meeting held June 6, 2011 at Tuttle Orchard.

 

Attendance:  Barb and Earl Smith, Rex Zenor, Bill and Linda King, Ruth Ann Roney, Tom Roney, Mike Roney, Edna Yeager, Roy Ballard.

 

The meeting was called to order at 7:02pm by Earl Smith.

 

The secretary and treasurer's reports were delayed because of small attendance.

 

Need to begin working on grants; need to get people involved; Roy will help draft grant.

 

Need to man booth at Hancock County Fair; July 9 - 16; open 4pm to 10pm; do survey; pass out directories.

 

State Fair booth in August needs to be manned on high traffic days.

 

Barb and Roy reported on the SARE group meeting; HHC grant, SARE was appreciative of  how we spent money; shared information; wanted ideas to improve SARE; grants now available for:  $7500 for one person, $15,000 for two person group, $22,500 for three person group.

 

Update on Legacy slide; Eric has created a new slide; paid for through end of year; Piney Acres may use September, October, November, December; do we want to do again next year?

 

Roy reported on State Farmers' Market, Tourism; web site not finished; working on by-laws; next meeting August 30.

 

The September local food dinner was discussed; decided to delay until September, 2012.

 

Other counties have shown interest in joining BFBL but no follow through.

 

Agritourism, agribusiness laws still being written; Mike Dale presented draft last meeting; hot topic for Farm Bureau; hope to have written by end of June.

 

Hazard waste collection is next weekend on west side of Covance; June 25 plastic garden containers collection at Marlin Plant Kingdom.

 

Roy reported on the Food Hub; July 6 meeting; web site discussion; representative from USDA will speak live after web site discussion.

 

Discussion whether to have July meeting scheduled to be at Hidden Acres or postpone; will speak with Randy Kimerly.

 

EPA is reducing testing in California for radiation for milk, produce, etc. even though it may be higher because of Japan's problems.

 

Europe's problems with e-coli means we should keep good track of our records for fertilizer, etc.

 

After we adjourn there will be a tour of Tuttle's fields and facilities.  Thank you to Tuttle Orchard for hosting our meeting.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 7:37pm.

 

Submitted by:

Edna Yeager

Secretary

May 2011 Meeting Minutes

Meeting minutes for HHC Regular Meeting held May 2, 2011 at Blue River Natural Foods.

 

Attendance: Barb and Earl Smith, Marvin and Jeniece Miller, Glen Reynolds, Jack Coe, Rex Zenor, Rick Cole, Robert and Darlene Engleking, Edna Yeager, Roy Ballard, Guests: Ashley Root, Matt Yeager

The meeting was called to order at 7:07pm by Earl Smith.

 

The meeting minutes from the April 4, 2011 meeting were read and approved.

 

No formal treasurer's report was given but Barb summarized recent items: paid under $1100 for new directory; paid $300 for building rent for member showcase; collected $190 from vendors for showcase; paid $100 for showcase ad; need to get sponsors for Legacy ad, Randy Kimerly showed interest for May and June and he will be contacted.

 

It was decided we will have a booth at the Hancock County Fair inside a building.

 

The Member Showcase was discussed: had hoped for more attendance; people attending did enjoy the event; good number of vendors; may have later next year when there will be more produce available; will do surveys at farmers' market and county fair to see what people want.

 

Ashley Root told of her and her husband's plans to open a local fresh food grocery in Greenfield at the current Heavenly Scent Candle Store across from Carnegies which they have purchased. They plan: selling local foods; full hot meals to-go two days a week; healthier meals; diabetic meals; catering; she is a trained chef; he is schooled in PR; web site advertising, natural - no chemicals.

 

A Farm Bureau representative met with the county commissioners. The library is now paid for and they hope to edit tax to pay 2008-2009 money to city of Greenfield for economic development. It is hoped the money can be used for a local regional food store and processing plant in Hancock County; thought HHC should be involved; available grant for $80,000 - $100,000 for feasibility study; tried in Columbus but dropped for lack of interest; would be USDA approved; regional food hub for processing, education, kitchen, flash freezing for produce.

 

Available Evaluated Producer Grant; block grant; focus on specialty crop; $50,000.

 

There will be a meeting the afternoon of May 25, 2011 for the SARE grant for farmers-ranchers; discussing what was done with grant money; how did it turn out; want feedback; $7,500 for individual farmers; $22,500 for groups - 2 or more people to divide between/among.

 

Do we want to work with Roy to do a feasibility study with grant money; hire someone to do study; present to county counsel; due in June; contact other members to see who wants to sit in grant meeting.

 

We need to start planning now for the fund raising dinner in September, 2011: promote local foods; Dawn Lowe's idea, will she chair; silent auction; how to use proceeds; what would people support; proceeds to HHC and food pantry.

 

The Farm Bureau wants Rex and other members to attend meeting of Land Resource Counsel. We are the first county in state to look at rules and regulations.

 

The next HHC meeting will be June 6, 2011 at Tuttle Orchard at 7:00pm. The meeting was adjourned at 8:25pm.

 

Submitted by: Edna Yeager, Secretary

 

Benefits of Membership
 
BFBL LabelWe hope that you find membership with Hancock Harvest Council to be a benefit for you. We have several different memberships available that will be included on your invoice and/or letter inviting you to join. It includes a beginner level for those who are not ready to begin promoting their product. Partial list of membership benefits are listed below:
  1. A listing in our Annual Directory - level of membership determines type of listing.
  2. Have the opportunity to use the BFBL graphics in their advertising, brochures and web sites. Must be pre-approved, graphics provided upon request.  Cannot be used on products.
  3. Promotion in our newsletter - member profiles, etc.
  4. Web page on the HHC website - more info at December meeting.
  5. Access to BFBL merchandise.
  6. We are currently working on updating our application to make it easier for Restaurants and Farmers markets.  Each classification will have a separate application. 

Consumer or Associate members are entitled to BFBL merchandise to be determined (we currently have bags and t-shirts). Their membership helps us to continue the mission of providing education and promotion of local foods.  Associate memberships are currently $10 per year.

 

Membership dues are payable in January.  Invoices below:

  

Producer Membership Letter/Invoice

 

Farmers Market and Restaurant Membership Letter/Invoice 

 

New members also need to complete application found on-line or can be e-mailed to you.  Current members should send an e-mail with any changes to your information for the directory and web page.  If you want featured in a newsletter, please let us know as well.

For any questions, please contact Barb Smith thru this e-mail or 765-763-0246.


In Closing:
Thank you again for your time and support in making our organization successful.  I hope you can plan to attend these meetings and take part in the furture of Hancock Harvest Council If you have any questions, please contact us.

Sincerely,
 
Barbara Smith, Secretary
Hancock Harvest Council
Mission
BFBL Label

The intent of the Hancock Harvest Council is to further develop opportunities for agricultural producers and potential producers to make available local foods and educational experiences to each other and the community.

Quick Links
Our Sponsors

 

Hancock County 4-H Ag Association
Join Our Mailing List!
Vision & Values

Vision Statement:

We will continue to foster a more sustainable and educated community for current and future generations

 

Values Statement:

The Members of the Hancock Harvest Council are Dedicated to the Following Core Values:

  Quality

 Food Safety

 Consistency

 Personal Integrity

 Identity Preservation

 Support of the Local Community