IMBD 2012 Event News
The US Fish and Wildlife Service and USDA Forest Service are motivating their partners and field sites to get involved in IMBD and offer new community programs about bird conservation. The 2012 Challenge is bringing new sites on board, and we'll be highlighting their work.
In the U.S., most of IMBD events will take place in May, but a growing number of organizations are also hosting activities during fall migration. Choose the "day" that is best for your site and most likely to coincide with bird migrations. We know that birds don't all migrate together at the same time!
As our regular reminder, we have lots of materials available for you. Visit our digital catalog for more information or request a paper catalog.
IMBD Digital Catalog
IMBD T-shirts: Off the Press!
International Migratory Bird Day
Walk on the Wild Side Enters 2nd Year
In 2011, EFTA launched Walk on the Wild Side
, a conservation walkathon that raises funds to preserve birds and their habitats. Five groups piloted the event, and all will return in 2012 to host their second events. We are also working with new partners who are exploring the ways that a walkathon can help raise funds for their conservation efforts and anticipate announcing new participants this spring. Why host a Walk on the Wild Side? There are many good reasons, including:
- It's fun and educational;
- Your participants can give directly to conservation;
- Youth and adults get outside and enjoy nature;
- Birdathons can use it too;
- You keep 90% of the funds your organization raises for conservation. The remaining 10% contribute to the costs of the website and fundraising software.
For more information about hosting a walkathon at your site, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Wisconsin Leads States in IMBD|
In 2011, we noticed a growing number of new IMBD events in Wisconsin. Bird City Wisconsin was launched in 2002 to coordinate statewide bird conservation. One of the requirements to become a Bird City is hosting an International Migratory Bird Day event. In just 10 years, the state has become a leader in promoting bird conservation actions and community education.
Wisconsin sites are already promoting their 2012 events, beginning with a celebration at Fontana Elementary School on April 27. Visit Bird City Wisconsin for more information...maybe your state will adopt the model!
Bird City Wisconsin