Fun, sun and lots of tennis in the desert
as rec teams battle for titles at WTT Nationals
"I love this format."
That sentiment was overhead at the WTT Rec League Nationals in Indian Wells from more than one team . . .even from the teams who did not win one of the nine divisions in the Rec, Senior and Corporate League divisions.
Teams from California, Pennsylvania, Maryland,
Virginia, Missouri and Florida will have bragging rights for another year after winning national championships at the World
TeamTennis Rec League Nationals presented by Advanta at the Indian
Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, Calif.
It was the first national championship title for six of the nine championship
teams, including Boeing, the Corporate 3.5 champs from St. Louis (pictured).
Forty-two recreational tennis teams from 15 states
battled for national championship titles in nine divisions.
To see a full list of champions and read about the 2008 WTT Nationals, click HERE or visit WTT.com.
NOTES FROM THE WTT NATIONALS:
- This year marks the 35th anniversary of the famous Billie Jean King-Bobby Riggs Battle of the Sexes match. That match still resonates today - even on Halloween. 9-year-old Alex Kuperstein dressed up as Bobby Riggs and visited with King during the Wilson clinic she conducted at Indian Wells Tennis Garden on Oct. 31.
- Not to be outdone, the 4.5 Rolls Roiths team from Kansas City, Mo. (pictured) got into the Halloween spirit at the Players Welcome Dinner, dressing up as Andre Agassi, John McEnroe, Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King.
- Check out Wilson's Facebook page for photos from the Wilson clinic with Billie Jean King from the 2008 WTT Nationals.
- Orly Mayron and Ann Bent of Boca Raton, Fla., (center, pictured with Billie Jean King and
Delaine Mast) were named as the 2008 recipients of the Delaine Mast Award, which
honors top WTT Rec League Directors.
- The first National Qualifier of 2009 is February 27 - March 1 in Bradenton, Fla. Additional events are scheduled in Las Vegas, Nev.; Kansas City, Mo.; and Wilmington, Del. Check WTT.com - 2009 National Qualifiers for additional dates and locations.
Andy rocks, Team Elton rolls
at Advanta WTT Smash Hits in Kennesaw, Ga.
Elton John is serious about his tennis. Just ask the members of Team Elton John at the recent Advanta WTT Smash Hits at Kennesaw State University. The pressure to perform is certainly on and his team lived up to their marquee billing with a 23-16 victory over Team Billie Jean. More importantly, $400,000 was raised for the Elton John AIDS Foundation and the Atlanta AIDS Partnership Fund.
A few highlights from the annual charity eveht:
- Battle of the Sexes . . . Elton opened the afternoon by teaming with Andy Roddick to defeat Martina Navratilova and Anna Kournikova in a Pro-Celebrity Battle of the Sexes. Not only is Elton an avid tennis fan, but the Rocket Man has a great forehand.
- Young Gun . . . Top US junior Melanie Oudin was noticeably nervous taking on tennis legend Martina Navratilova in women's singles but after a few games, the 17-year-oldfound her moxie. After Navratilova hit a few drop shot winners on the youngster, Oudin joked, "I can't get to those." Maybe she figured Navratilova couldn't either. On the next point, Oudin hit a drop shot winner and flashed an impish smile at the 51-year-old Navratilova. Point, Oudin.
- Art from the Artist . . . Andy Roddick will have a nice new piece of art to hang in his house after Smash Hits. Roddick picked up an original painting by Martina Navratilova during the pre-match auction. Navratilova, known for her artistry on the court, has become a very successful artist off of it. Working with Slovak artist Juraj Kralik and
using a technique she calls "tennising", Navratilova hits paint-covered balls
on to canvases to create what has become highly-valued artwork. Roddick put in the high bid of $17,000 during the auction to take home "Sweet Spot II".
- The Naked Truth . . . No Andy Roddick is not giving tennis lessons in the nude. While auctioning off a tennis lesson with Andy during the pre-match reception, the auctioneer joked that Andy would take off his shirt for the lesson. That moved the bid up to $12,000. Roddick laughed when the auction item became a "full monty" and sold for $15,000. Roddick blogs about the auction on his website - Hear it from Andy.
photos: Camerawork USA
- Read more about Advanta WTT Smash Hits HERE.
Wilson Tip of the Month:
OVERCOMING THE FEAR OF LOSING
Overcoming the Fear of
The fear of
losing almost always comes from thinking about outcome-based results as opposed
to performance-based results. I like to use the following definitions when
describing these two types of results.
goals are by
definition, things that are not totally under your control. The most
common outcome goal is to win a match.
goals are by
definition things that are totally within your control. A performance
based goal would be to "swing hard" on all of your second serves.
should never be to get rid of all the butterflies in your stomach before the
match, but rather to get those butterflies to fly in formation.
I think the
best way to reduce your fear of losing is by resetting what your goal is for
each match. I like to use the concept of the personal promise. I define
a personal promise as a performance-based goal(s) that you set for yourself
before each match you are about to play.
personal promises are defined and clear in your head, you can measure your
success by how well you stick to your promise instead of measuring your success
on whether you win or lose. And since personal promises are all
performance-based, there is no way you can fail unless you simply decide not to
do it. They are by definition 100 percent within your control.
some examples of the most common personal promises I have used for myself and
you feel the fear of losing creeping up on you, try to create a personal
promise for yourself and watch your fears melt away.
hard on my second serves.
to the net on all short balls (service box)
all my serves to their weaker side.
topspin on my backhand. (no slices)
at my strings between points so my mind & eyes don't wander.
CAPESTANY, USPTA Master Professional & PTR Professional: is the Founder of www.tennisdrills.tv - a video based
website that shows more than 600 videos of tennis drills and tips. In Jorge's 26 years in the industry, he has
created and directed lesson programs that have generated over one million
dollars in revenue a year. Jorge is a 6-time Michigan Pro of the Year and a 2-time
Midwest Pro of the Year. Jorge is part of the Wilson Speakers Bureau Team.
ADVANTA WTT SMASH HITS on TV
Advanta WTT Smash Hits airs on Tennis Channel on November 29:
ADVANTA WTT SMASH HITS
11/29, 6:00 PM EST on Tennis Channel
TEAM ELTON - coached by Elton John
(Andy Roddick, Anna Kournikova, Melanie Oudin)
TEAM BILLIE JEAN - coached by Billie Jean King
(Martina Navratilova, Jesse Levine)
X TeamTennis Champions
2008 X TeamTennis National Champions & Runnerups:(from left to right) 2008 X TeamTennis Champions
- Chris Damion and Hailey Hogan from Corona del Mar High School in Newport Beach, Calif.; tournament director A.G. Longoria; and Danielle Kaidow and Parker Rhodes from Corona del Mar High School
More tennis that serves a cause
Mobile Area World TeamTennis raised more than $12,000 for the St. Mary's Home in Mobile, Alabama this fall. More than 165 players participated in the inaugural Rally for
the Children Tennis Tournament.
Founded in 1838, St. Mary's Home is the oldest
residential treatment facility for children in Alabama. It
serves children who cannot live with their families because
of abuse and neglect.
WTT NATIONALS -
Order in the Court
Beauties & the Beasts
Fun, Fun, Fun
CORPORATE 3.5 DIVISION
St. Louis, Mo.
Boca Med Grand Slammers
Boca Raton, Fla.
CORPORATE 4.5 DIVISION
Medtronic Schok'r W.S.
Maple Grove, Minn.
Full details on the 2008 WTT Nationals.