SelfCare

February 16, 2012

Greetings!

All About Power. One of the most liberating products we provide is powered mobility.

In this issue we look at power wheelchairs. We summarize Cathy Brighton's recent presentation on power mobility, provide an overview on platforms, and present a variety of chairs. As Cathy states, power mobility offers freedom and independence but also introduces the risk of injury. SelfCare can help you make informed decisions to best match your client's ability to a functional mobility solution.

We look forward to providing you with useful information throughout the year. Please contact us at any time if you have any comments, questions or topics you want covered by an inservice by emailing kim.mackie@selfcarehome.com.

All About Power

"All You Ever Wanted to Know About Power Mobility Assessments - Clinical skills for assessing and prescribing power mobility equipment" was presented by Cathy Brighton, OT on February 3. Cathy has extensive experience with power wheelchair assessments and has developed many tools during her career as a Community OT and as a Consultant OT with VAC.

SelfCare provided sponsorship for this workshop which supplied therapists with tools for administering power mobility assessments. Cathy discussed interpreting the assessment results and preparing well supported recommendations. She concluded with a summary of the legal and ethical issues regarding power mobility assessments.

Power mobility offers freedom and independence but just like a car, misuse or loss of cognitive ability can put the client or someone else at risk of injury. Cathy stressed that sound decisions based on validated tools are necessary and if you are uncertain, reach out to colleagues and get the information you need.
Power Platform

While mid (or centre) wheel drive is often the drive platform of choice, there are still clients for whom their environment and use dictates rear or front wheel drive. Here is an article reprinted from Rehab & Community Care that examines the 3 drive platforms. While objective determinations assist in chair selection, it is ultimately the driving performance for the user that is key.  This is why the demo is so important.

> Comparing Power Wheelchair Platforms
Power Wheelchairs - Updated

Scan our power wheelchair reference sheet to help you determine alternatives. Call a SelfCare Seating & Mobility consultant to discuss which alternatives may offer the best solution for your client.

Which power wheelchairs have our customers received with Ministry funding?

  • MDX
  • Jazzy 600 (previously Q600E)
  • TDX SP
  • M300

> Power Wheelchair Reference Sheet

> Power Wheelchairs on our website

Power Wheelchairs - MDX and M300

The MXD and M300 mid wheel drive chairs are great power wheelchair options. Here's a short head to head comparison of what we like about their features.

 > Power Wheelchairs Reference: MDX and M300

> MDX on our website

> M300 on our website

Stellar Express Tilt in Space Wheelchair - Product Feature

PDG Stellars and Bentleys with express seating now use the Comfort Seating products.

Here's a quick summary of the changes:

Seating Component

NOW

Comment

Was

Solid Back

Acta Back

Acta Back Deep ($154 upcharge)

Great new back- very adjustable with well positioned laterals and multiple foam layers

Open centre area with metal stays that can be contoured to customize the support for the client (you bend them)

Easy to take on and off

3 height options: 16,18 & 20" where MaTRx was only available in 2 heights

MaTRx PB

MaTRx PB Deep

Cushion

M2 Zero Elevation cushion

Similar in height but heavier

4 areas of gel

MaTRx Vi cushion

Headrest

Comfort Company

Very adjustable and easy to adjust for a wider range of head positions than the Stealth

Components loosen to adjust but don't separate so less chance to loose parts

Stealth

Want to check out the new seating with an inservice? Just email kim.mackie@selfcarehome.com to set a date for us to bring the new seating to you.

> View the Stellar Reference Sheet
> Stellar on our website
> ACTA Back Reference
> Acta Back Deep Reference
Events: Building Bridges - Feb 21 - Resilience

The Vancouver Coastal Bridges Educational Workshop will be held on February 21, 2012 at the Vancouver General Hospital. The topic this year is Resilience.

> Full details
In this issue...
All About Power
Power Platforms
Power Wheelchairs
MDX and M300
Stellar Express
Events
Quick Links
Upcoming Events

VCH Bridges - Resilience, February 21, 2012
International Seating Symposium, March 6 - 8, 2012
Facebook
Join us on Facebook
Contact SelfCare
YES, ...you can reply to this e-mail. It will reach a person. How refreshing! Or call us at 604-872-5800. Need information on a specific product or want to demo a wheelchair? Contact a Seating & Mobility Consultant.
Product Notes
Bariatric wheelchairs
The slightly unusual
Join Our Mailing List
If you have received SelfCare's Newsletter from a colleague and want to be on our mailing list, sign up here!

Did a specific new product spark your interest? Let me know and we'll include it in a product comparison or feature.
Health Care Professional Resources @ SelfCare

Online Access to Resources
You can access our reference and product sheets, inservice RSVPs, and other reference materials online. You will be able to find information on our rental and consignment equipment, staff contacts, plus many other features. Contact Kim Mackie at 604-990-9422 or via email to request a username and password.
In Person Access to ResourcesDo you have a product area - seating, mattresses, tilt wheelchairs or maybe just single products - that you would like to see at a lunch time inservice? We are always available to bring product, reference sheets and lunch to you. Contact Kim Mackie at 604-990-9422 or via email with your inservice request.

SelfCare's Product Line

MOBILITY
Wheelchairs - Bariatric l Lightweight l Power l Rigid l Manual l Tilt in Space
l Ramps l Scooters l Seating & Positioning l Walkers l Miscellaneous l Seating & Positioning
HOME CARE
Beds l Commodes l Lift Chairs l Mattresses & Support Surfaces l Patient Lifts l Personal Care
BATH SAFETY
Bath Lifts l Bath Seats & Transfer Benches l Grab Bars l Raised Toilet Seats l Specialty Items
SelfCare Locations