Homemade Pizza (Crust)
Pizza always goes well with any family event, and the bounty of the garden added to a homemade crust can be a family event all its own. Here is a homemade crust for your family to try this weekend:
4 cups whole-wheat or white flour
1 tablespoon sugar or honey
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup oil
1 1/3 cups warm water
1. Preheat your oven to 425°F.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Mix it together with a fork or spoon.
3. Add the oil and warm water. Stir all of this up until it begins to form a soft dough.
4. Knead the dough right in the bowl. Do it for about two minutes, or until the dough is smooth, resilient, and well-formed.
5. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
6. After the dough has rested, divide it into two balls to press into your pans. This amount of dough is enough to cover two round pizza pans or two 9-by-13 rectangular pans. This recipe will also make four to six pie plate-sized pizzas. Press the dough into the pans.
7. Pre-bake the crusts before filling. Bake the plain crusts for about 8 minutes, or until they puff up and appear slightly dry on the surface. Remove the partially cooked crusts from the oven.
8. Top with tomato sauce, cheese, and whatever else you like.
9. Bake at 425°F until the cheese is hot and bubbly, or about 10 to 15 minutes.