Questions About Obedience Training for Your Pup
Dear Scarlet..does my puppy need to take obedience training classes?
Yes, pups need training classes to learn good manners and proper behavior.
What are the benefits of puppy kindergarten classes?
- Improved manners. Obedience training helps dogs to be well mannered companions who display acceptable behavior. Dogs who take obedience training learn the basic commands of sit, stay, down, come, as well as learn how to walk properly on a leash.
- Better communication. Obedience training helps to strengthen the bond between you and your pup. Also, it typically helps dog owners to understand how dogs think and learn.
- Improved socialization. Exposure to new dogs and their owners is essential to your pup's social development.
- Less fearful. Obedience training helps fearful dogs to be less fearful, and dominant dogs to be less territorial.
- Improved safety. A properly trained dog is less likely to engage in unsafe activities such as running into traffic, etc.
How do I find a good dog trainer?
Ask your vet, friends who own dogs, and your breeder for recommendations. Research trainers and training schools in your area, and ask to meet with, and observe the trainer before you sign up for a class. Reputable trainers will be experienced and calm, approachable and motivating, have control of the dogs, and primarily use positive reward based training techniques (rather than harsh corrections or punishments). There should be a reasonable trainer to dog ratio (preferably a ratio of 4 dogs per instructor). Avoid classes that do not require proof of vaccinations or if you feel uncomfortable.
How long do classes last?
Puppy kindergarten classes usually last from 6-10 weeks, for pups that are 3-6 months old.