SAP America, Inc to Acquire Ariba, Inc (Nasdaq: ARBA)
Transaction Value: $4.3B
- Enterprise Value: $4.1B
- EV/Revenue: 8.2X
- EV/EBITDA: 100.4X
- Transaction Structure: Cash and Debt
- SAP America, Inc, operating as a subsidiary of SAP AG (DB: SAP), has signed an agreement to acquire Ariba, Inc (Nasdaq: ARBA), a provider of collaborative business commerce solutions, for $45.00/share (USD), which represents a premium of roughly 20% above Monday's close of $37.64/share and ~20% above the volume weighted average price for the past 30 days.
- Just as Success Factors (NYSE: SFSF) propelled SAP's Human Capital Management (HCM) offering to the cloud, the ARBA acquisition propels SAP's Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) to the cloud.
- ARBA's supplier network should do well as cloud adoption continues. In fact, ARBA had been actively using M&A (just as SFSF had done) to restructure the focus of its business toward SaaS-based subscription revenues and growth in the international market:
- Nov 2010 - Sold sourcing services and business process outsourcing services assets to Accenture.
- Jan 2011 - Acquired Quadrem International Ltd., a provider of SaaS based commerce solutions for $170M.
- Oct 2011 - Acquired b-process S.A., an invoice processing provider for $47.9M.
- With the SFSF and now ARBA acquisitions, SAP clearly outlines its move to the cloud. This presents a number of meaningful changes for SAP's VAR and implementation partners:
- Beyond having different technology and delivery infrastructures, cloud based offerings have significantly different business models for customers.
- The SFSF and ARBA acquisitions greatly increase the number of offerings from SAP, allowing for the ability to sell more to existing accounts.
- The increased offerings can also increase deal sizes as larger implementations become possible. To fully leverage this opportunity requires a stronger infrastructure, balance sheet and resource base.
- martinwolf expects large, cash rich buyers to continue to make SaaS acquisitions as they believe they are the best owners of smaller cloud assets; however, value does not always trickle down to the mid-market players in the space, since sellers that have achieved scale will continue to be coveted in the marketplace.
Please go here to read the press release.
martinwolf was not the adviser in this transaction.
To learn more about this transaction or our firm, contact Tim Mueller email@example.com
Based in Silicon Valley, martinwolf is a leading middle market M&A Advisory focused on companies with services-based business models. Since 1997, our team has completed more than 115 transactions in six countries. We are a five-year member of the Merrill Lynch PS Referral Network, and were selected as ICICI Bank's (India's leading private bank) exclusive strategic partner for acquiring U.S. IT companies. martinwolf is a member of FINRA and SIPC. For more information, visit www.martinwolf.com.
December 1, 2011
Softchoice Corporation (TSX: SO) announced it has it has fulfilled its regulatory requirements under the Competition Act and has now completed the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of UNIS LUMIN, one of Canada's most highly regarded Cisco networking and managed services companies. Softchoice was represented by martinwolf | M&A Advisors. The acquisition strengthens Softchoice's professional services capabilities while providing the technology foundation to support the Company's future cloud offerings.
Please click here to view the announcement.
September 30, 2011
SPS, a leading Unified Communications Provider, announced that Court Square Partners has made an investment in the company. martinwolf | M&A Advisors represented SPS in this transaction. SPS is a premier unified communication services integrator, ranked 131 on the 2011 VAR 500 list with 2010 sales of $143 million. Court Square is a $4B+ New York-based PE Group, with more than 150 lifetime investments.
Please click here to view the announcement.
September 20, 2011
Accel-KKR, a technology-focused private equity investment firm, announced that it had taken a majority stake in Infinisource. Infinisource is a leading benefits administration technology and services company. martinwolf | M&A Advisors represented the seller in this transaction.
Please click here to read more.
© martinwolf | M&A Advisors 2012