|Breastfeeding Support for New Moms|
Breastfeeding is usually something new moms both look forward to and have anxiety about. While it is completely natural, it doesn't always come easily. St. Francis supports new moms in every way to encourage breastfeeding from before the baby is born throughout the duration of the breastfeeding experience.
Breast milk naturally nourishes your baby and provides him or her with unique nutritional and health benefits. Additional benefits include:
- Antibodies to strengthen baby's immune system, leading to less illnesses for your baby and lower health care costs
- A reduced risk for the development of conditions such as diabetes, asthma, eczema, obesity, and high cholesterol
- Fewer instances of vomiting and diarrhea
- A possible lower risk of food allergies
Breastfeeding can help your own body recover from the stress of pregnancy, labor, and delivery. It can also lower your risk of developing breast cancer, diabetes, and osteoporosis later in life. Breastfeeding may also improve your ability to lose weight.
Lactation Services at St. Francis
Many moms-to-be are a combination of excited and anxious about breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is an acquired skill requiring a lot of practice and patience, and the first few weeks can be challenging. At St. Francis, we offer lactation services to assist soon-to-be moms during pregnancy and new moms in the hospital and at home. Our Lactation Services are widely considered the best in the Upstate and have been recognized with the International Board of Certified Lactation Consultants' Care Award. Our services include:
- Prenatal Breastfeeding Classes taught by Certified Lactation Consultants
- Prenatal Breast Assessments
- Inpatient Support with Certified Lactation Consultants
- Outpatient Support, including phone consultations, with Certified Lactation Consultants
- A Lactation Center that staffs a nursing bra fitting specialist and offers hard-to-find lactation items, such as Medela pumps, nursing gowns and bras, and other accessories
- Breastfeeding Support Groups
The St. Francis Lactation Center, located on the 4th floor of ST. FRANCIS eastside, offers services and supplies designed to help breastfeeding mothers. New moms can call our Breastfeeding Phone Line Monday-Friday from 8:30 am - 5:00 pm to speak one-on-one with a Consultant or participate in our breastfeeding support group to connect with other moms. To learn more, sign up for one of our breastfeeding classes or call 864-675-4215.